May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So the question is now, are you going to sell them or keep them?

Tough one. Probably will sell but not for a awhile. I finally started selling off the jewelry. Running about 30-50 auctions per week. I have enough inventory of jewelry to last me thru the spring.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Btw I left a tea and coffee pot with a creamer and sugar bowl at the sale. They looked similar but all four did not have Silver marks. Hmmm....I wonder!?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Just throwing this out there... Some of those have the classic "plated" look to me or possibly German silver.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just throwing this out there... Some of those have the classic "plated" look to me or possibly German silver.

That is what I think fooled them.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
II just left My local coin shop. They put one of the platters on a spectrograph and it tested for .925 sterling silver. Holy **** all 16 pounds is sterling silver!!!!!!!!! 233 Troy ounces!!!!!!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
II just left My local coin shop. They put one of the platters on a spectrograph and it tested for .925 sterling silver. Holy **** all 16 pounds is sterling silver!!!!!!!!! 233 Troy ounces!!!!!!

Well, there ya go. Congrats!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a killer find. Where do think they where made? My thoughts are China or Japan as I've seen silver from there marked just "SILVER" like that. I bought some Saki cups that had a mark of just "SILVER" like those and yes they were solid silver plus a Japanese mark that meant "pure silver" also. They had a gold inlay etchings of fighting roosters in the center of each cup. Some guy in Florida bought them from me and I wish I had them still, but silver prices were just to good to sit on them at that time.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey JD, it's actually 19.41 Troy pounds. 12 Troy ounces = 1 Troy pound. That's a sh-- load of silver my friend!! Again, well done. I feel that a Wayne's World quote is in order....... We're not worthy! We're not worthy!! [emoji38]

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That's a killer find. Where do think they where made? My thoughts are China or Japan as I've seen silver from there marked just "SILVER" like that. I bought some Saki cups that had a mark of just "SILVER" like those and yes they were solid silver plus a Japanese mark that meant "pure silver" also. They had a gold inlay etchings of fighting roosters in the center of each cup. Some guy in Florida bought them from me and I wish I had them still, but silver prices were just to good to sit on them at that time.

I am certain They were made in India and brought or sent to the bride and groom on their wedding day.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey JD, it's actually 19.41 Troy pounds. 12 Troy ounces = 1 Troy pound. That's a sh-- load of silver my friend!! Again, well done. I feel that a Wayne's World quote is in order....... We're not worthy! We're not worthy!! [emoji38]

Is my calculator app wrong? But you are right, xxxxx load of silver. Never again! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456183472.197700.jpg

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
AARC,

I don't believe so....only detecting finds me thinks.....but heh that one score he made is probably worth more than all my silver detecting finds combined maybe I should take up garage sales, estate sales, etc and hang up the gear....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is my calculator app wrong? But you are right, xxxxx load of silver. Never again! View attachment 1276250

It is correct,.......somewhat. As you know , gold and silver are measured and sold on the market in troy ounces. Therefore in large quantities such as yours should also be measured in troy pounds (12 ozt.). The "pound" in your calculation is the avoirdupois pound or the regular pound (16 oz.). I've got some catching up to do!!

http://www.coinnews.net/2007/07/22/weighing-in-the-precious-metal-difference/

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am certain They were made in India and brought or sent to the bride and groom on their wedding day.
Yeah, maybe the retailer adds that "SILVER" stamp afterwards on import pieces, as I've seen it on jewelry and other solid silver of foreign origins. Looks like the word silver is stuck much deeper than the other marks.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um...

Are Banners given for yard sale finds ?

IF so... heh
Metal detecting is more like a fishing contest IMO. Finding treasure in the after market is more of knowing what your looking at. Detecting is more a mater of luck and technique, just like fishing. It's been brought up before why no banners for rumage treasure finds. This though is a blue ribbon find I will say. Not everyone knew the true value of what this was. JimDon took a chance and came out on top.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions