Scored an AWESOME victrola at an estate sale

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So ever since I got my first table top Victor VV vi a phonograph, Ive been very fascinated by phonographs. Then yesterday, Bam! A 1921 portable Victrola VV-50 record player! And, It was affordable! I also got some nice records, including "Turkey in de straw" with a reverse of ------ loves his 'possum. Wow. Just what a racist song. Anyways, other than a new speed control knob, it's in extremely good shape.
Ive provided an Ipod Shuffle for scale. Amazing how back in 1921, this was the biggest hit. A very popular device, To be able to take your music WITH you! Almost 100 years later, its been shrunk like 100 times, but can hold 100 times more songs. Just to give you an idea of how top of the line it was back then, new it costed 50 dollars! Honestly, it seems ridiculous, but i put it into an inflation calculator, and that's equivalent today to $661.78!!!!!!!!
Absolutely stunning.
IMG_2135[1].JPG IMG_2140[1].JPG IMG_2141[1].JPG IMG_2142[1].JPG

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool. I was at some antique shops here yesterday and found a few of those records but no Victrola. Nice score!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Victorian boom box? Looks in great condition. Nice buy.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yo Mr. DJ, spin that wheel and let's hear some scratchin!! Wiki, wiki, wiki, wiki!!! [emoji12] Ok, now I'm dating myself back to my 80's days!! That is a nice piece though! Let's see if our iPhones and iPods last as long as that did!!

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah believe it or not, my Ipod 4 has almost reached the end of it's life, and yet that Victrola shows no signs of giving up soon!

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
As a little kid, back in the 1960s, my dad brought one of these home. It was on it's last legs, but it was fun.

One of the differences between a Victrola and a stereo phonograph was that the Victrola had a real needle that ran through the grooves of the record, whereas the stereo used a stylus (sp?)

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That piece of history is beautiful! You did well!

Bill

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
That's a nice piece and that record probably has good value as well. One of those recently sold on eBay for $47:

Collins and Harlan N1GGER Loves His Possum Victor Pre War Racist 78rpm | eBay

In good condition, old 78 rpm records of early country, blues, jazz, and "race" records (as they were called back then) are highly collectible and sometimes fetch in the hundreds of dollars.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a little kid, back in the 1960s, my dad brought one of these home. It was on it's last legs, but it was fun.

One of the differences between a Victrola and a stereo phonograph was that the Victrola had a real needle that ran through the grooves of the record, whereas the stereo used a stylus (sp?)

Yes very true. The hard part is, the needles are made to use only once, and then they have to get thrown away. This is because the needle was designed to wear down to fit the grooves in the shellac record, but reusing it would eventually destroy the record.

And they sure are fun!!

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a nice piece and that record probably has good value as well. One of those recently sold on eBay for $47:

Collins and Harlan N1GGER Loves His Possum Victor Pre War Racist 78rpm | eBay

In good condition, old 78 rpm records of early country, blues, jazz, and "race" records (as they were called back then) are highly collectible and sometimes fetch in the hundreds of dollars.

Thanks!
I still have yet to find a rare blues record though, but that's all the thrill of the hunt!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
When I was a child in the early 50's my grandfather still used his Victrola. I remember..... In fact, I have that Victrola sitting about 20' from me as I type this. And it's full of 78's....

My kids when they were young though.... They broke the head on it, so I need to go looking for a replacement. The full cabinet sized ones aren't really that valuable - unless I was looking in the wrong places. One of these days I'll get off my duff, fix it, and spin some 78's.

Yours is a beauty! Great find!

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was a child in the early 50's my grandfather still used his Victrola. I remember..... In fact, I have that Victrola sitting about 20' from me as I type this. And it's full of 78's....

My kids when they were young though.... They broke the head on it, so I need to go looking for a replacement. The full cabinet sized ones aren't really that valuable - unless I was looking in the wrong places. One of these days I'll get off my duff, fix it, and spin some 78's.

Yours is a beauty! Great find!

Thanks! Too bad about the head. I was able to buy one off Ebay for my other Victrola, and if you wait, you might be able to snag one for under $50.
I think generally, cabinets take up more space and are less desirable to some, but hey in your case, its the family connection that's important. That's priceless.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks! Too bad about the head. I was able to buy one off Ebay for my other Victrola, and if you wait, you might be able to snag one for under $50. I think generally, cabinets take up more space and are less desirable to some, but hey in your case, its the family connection that's important. That's priceless.

Thanks! I was certainly going to look on Ebay, but really had no idea of the price.

I didn't know about the single use needles. This thing may have had the original in it. With the family connection, it'll go to one of my kids.

It's in very nice shape, original finish. Only the knob off the crank is gone, and then my kids. I don't want to hijack your thread, and I know you already have one. So I won't post it here - actually have never taken a picture of it.

I know you'll take care of yours! Repeating myself, that one you posted here really is beautiful. Thank you for the response and information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions