Murano Aquarium Vase?

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the process of catching up on researching and listing some items I bought during a summer road trip. One of those items is this heavy glass vase. It measures about 14 inches in height and probably weighs around 8 or 9 pounds. It has a little circle of black felt on the bottom that may be hiding a signature or a sticker, but I can't be certain. I bought a pair of glass pillars a year ago that ended up being Murano bullicante glass, and in that case, the stickers were hidden beneath felt bottoms, but the glass was mostly clear, so I could faintly see the mirror image of the sticker through the piece. Thats not the case here because the inside of the vase is a milky white glass. I'd like to be accurate when listing this so as not to short myself potential profits, or have a buyer accuse me of misrepresenting it. Does anybody have any insight on how to tell if it's an Italian piece or a less expensive reproduction? Thanks in advance!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456338233.867093.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456338252.731060.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456338270.498702.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456338284.800804.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Can you remove the felt, take a look of ID marks, photo them if visible, then replace the felt.
You (and your potential buyer) will then know for sure; and you will not be selling a "pig in a poke"; perhaps at a far reduced price than its actual value.
Don...

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would say the felt base has to come off. It can always be reapplied and i don't think that will hurt the value at all.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your suggestions. It took a little elbow grease, but I got the felt base off, and alas...no signature or sticker. It still has the heft and overall feel of a quality piece, so I may do a little more research. Appreciate the help.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm no murano expert, but your bowl looks to be genuine. finding no marks on it, is a good sign. murano doesn't mark their glass, only the fakes are signed murano. the couple of real pieces I've found have no marks on them at all.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks again to all for your willingness to help. Lost & Found, thank you for the link. I had forgotten, but that is the site that I registered for when I was researching the Murano pillars that I mentioned in my thread starter. Definitely another handy resource for TNet members. Thanks!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have to agree with digs. I'm seeing more of the recent Chinese art glass here. I've yet to see a Murano piece made with that inside white cased technique.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Luckily I don't have to worry about recouping much of an investment on this vase. It was one of those 'make a pile and I'll give you a deal' sales. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right? Thanks everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread