Small Gamble = 205g Gorham Sterling!!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys found someone selling a Tupperware container full of old forks and spoons for $20, couldn't look through it or split any of the pieces up, so I bought it and found 5 Gorham Etruscan forks! Weigh 41 grams each, total of 205 grams for $20 and a ton of silver plate items. What do you guys do with junk silver plate? Also seems like these forks have some value over melt on ebay, however one of them is bent out of shape..... is it a lost cause? Iv'e tried to get it back to the original shape but I don't think its working.
20160224_195001_resized.jpg 20160224_195016_resized.jpg 20160224_195029_resized.jpg

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey guys found someone selling a Tupperware container full of old forks and spoons for $20, couldn't look through it or split any of the pieces up, so I bought it and found 5 Gorham Etruscan forks! Weigh 41 grams each, total of 205 grams for $20 and a ton of silver plate items. What do you guys do with junk silver plate? Also seems like these forks have some value over melt on ebay, however one of them is bent out of shape..... is it a lost cause? Iv'e tried to get it back to the original shape but I don't think its working.
View attachment 1277293 View attachment 1277294 View attachment 1277295

One of what is bent?

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are pretty cool!! Even better when they are polished up. Anything from Gorham is always worth more than melt if it's in good shape. As far as the plated stuff, put them in your next YS and take the first $10-15 you get for them. Great score!!

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Group plated stuff by pattern and search eBay. You would be surprised at the price some of it goes for.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you guys do with junk silver plate?

With the possibilities of silver going higher, both near term and a few years in the future, the rumor around these parts is to be on the lookout for nice pieces of plated silver holloware. No matter the state of the national or local economy, there will be private parties and office/business gatherings where nice large plated trays, sugar bowls/cream pitchers, and coffee/hot drink serving vessels will be a classy addition.

As for plated tableware, after you determine the pattern isn't a rare one, check to determine the base metal under the silver plate. China will still have a need to import copper and brass for their own "consumer" Middle Class we helped them form, so a significant need and market with still be there. If a sector of weak performing U.S. copper mines slow down or close, scrap will start bringing more, too. Like another poster said, bundle it and put a price on it when you have your next yard sale. Just be sure the price is above present day scrap prices or add a nice profit on what you paid for it to get to the sterling that probably was mixed in when you bought it.:tongue3: My heart rate increases and I begin to breath heavy and stifle a grin finding mixed bundles like that!!

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Forking cool score!