OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the $2 14k 18.5 gram charm bracelet. And in the same bag was a sterling charm bracelet and also a junkie charm bracelet.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1456610451.128420.jpg

SEANO

Sep 16, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Sold them all.
Happens all the time to me and the wife especially. Least favorite sayings at a sale... "Where'd you find that at? That's not supposed to be out here." or "I was wondering where that was, sorry that's not for sale."

So been there!

Helps to team-up w/the "Wife" on a hunt, but usually not long till I wish she stayed home! Shhhh

Florida bound Wed.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So been there!

Helps to team-up w/the "Wife" on a hunt, but usually not long till I wish she stayed home! Shhhh

Florida bound Wed.

My wife said she wanted to go today. But she needed an hour to get ready.. I said maybe next time. That's too long, i'll chew all my fingernails off down to the bone with anxiety waiting to leave.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I just get a kick out of reading the comments on the garage sale forum. Stealing it by burying it in the bottom of a box of junk ? I have to assume Jeff was joking.. Hell man if you're willing to do that why not just stick it in your pocket when nobody is looking ? It's basically the same thing... The sad thing is there are people here who would do that and not think twice. If you don't "get that" I'm not going to explain it..

SAYS Bandit...

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here there's a mother son team that runs sales. Whenever I see a green poster board sign I just keep going. Anyways they take and Jack the prices up to about 3 times retail that way they can buy the whole lot for next to nothing on the last day to sell at their flea market stall. Seen them stick their foot in their mouth one day in front of the family saying that's what they do lol. But estate sales never pay off if ran by a company here.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here there's a mother son team that runs sales. Whenever I see a green poster board sign I just keep going. Anyways they take and Jack the prices up to about 3 times retail that way they can buy the whole lot for next to nothing on the last day to sell at their flea market stall. Seen them stick their foot in their mouth one day in front of the family saying that's what they do lol. But estate sales never pay off if ran by a company here.

Yes worst thing of all is when someone has no problem Storing everything away again .
that is why I avoid thrift type stores.

the whole idea for sales is to Get rid of stuff, & Maybe make a few bucks on the side.

Last edited:

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

We have a company by that near us. It's very clear, because they also advertise their auction house at the events. So many good items are beyond reasonable retail.

I lucked out buying something from them ONCE.

Matching t-shirts from customink doth not a good estate sale make.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a pin show in Salt Lake City, not long after they were awarded the Olympics in 2002. I brough a bucket of pins and sold them by the handful... a handful was $30 if there were less than 100 pins, or $50 if there were more than 100 pins. No counting before. More people ended up with 105 or 110, They easily could have taken 200 or 250 if they had decided to just get as many as they could.

That was a lot of fun...

I was at a yard sale once & there was a Box of tokens.
I asked how Much.

the guy looked at me and if I remember right said $3.00 a handful .
I reached in and took a Big Handful, Held it out him & handed him the Money.

When I got home, I found a Token for a piece of Land that only White People could use. from the days of segregation.
I believe I got $60 for it

A 1795 Lettered edge Large Cent I got $100 for

And various other tokens that sold on Ebay for various amounts.

The rest I sold at a Flea Market.

I didn't feel bad. He wanted $3.00 a Handful & I would have stopped again if he would have had another.
I may also have taken $30.00 along for 10 handfuls :laughing7:

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the sale is heavily advertised, it probably sucks. The only good yard sales are the ones where you just see the cardboard sign from the road and they really want to "clear stuff out" . Then its a good idea to chat with them while you eye up your purchases at a distance, then just grab some other junk like the skateboard and bottles I just bought, act really disinterested, and ask how much? When the answer seems reasonable, then grab most if not the whole box of jewelry, put together the package deal and say, "hows (what you are willing to pay) $ for this? Its like as soon as you express interest in one little item after pawing through the whole table they figure, man that guy spent an hour finding that one little item... it must be worth more than my sticker price. I'd better hold onto it. When they see you grabbing numerous items and boxes they are like "sell sell sell" My two cents. I had the same experience with a gold bracelet once and only once.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the sale is heavily advertised, it probably sucks. The only good yard sales are the ones where you just see the cardboard sign from the road and they really want to "clear stuff out" . Then its a good idea to chat with them while you eye up your purchases at a distance, then just grab some other junk like the skateboard and bottles I just bought, act really disinterested, and ask how much? When the answer seems reasonable, then grab most if not the whole box of jewelry, put together the package deal and say, "hows (what you are willing to pay) $ for this? Its like as soon as you express interest in one little item after pawing through the whole table they figure, man that guy spent an hour finding that one little item... it must be worth more than my sticker price. I'd better hold onto it. When they see you grabbing numerous items and boxes they are like "sell sell sell" My two cents. I had the same experience with a gold bracelet once and only once.

Good point! Sometimes it's good to just dumb things down a bit for the sellers. I also rarely take out my loupe unless it's an absolute must! I bought a few things at a church YS the other day and had to pull out my loupe. The lady next to me says sarcastically " oh we have a jeweler here". I said to myself in my head, " no! We have a pirate, so get the f@&# off my ship"!! [emoji12]☠.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point! Sometimes it's good to just dumb things down a bit for the sellers. I also rarely take out my loop unless it's an absolute must! I bought a few things at a church YS the other day and had to pull out my loop. The lady next to me say sarcastically " oh we have a jeweler here". I said to myself in my head, " no! We have a pirate, so get the f@&# off my ship"!! [emoji12]☠.
Being that I have to use my loupe alot, I would have said... no, we have a blind man that has a nosy azz woman with a big mouth flapping her gums next to him. Most of the time I'll keep quiet, but if someone is being a smartazz like that, I'll usually call them out on it. Same goes with blatant thievery, I see you pocket something, I'm running my mouth loudly.

That being said, I have many times filled a box with multiple small items at a sale, for convenience sake more than anything. As someone already pointed out, it's not the buyers job to itemize and price every single item à la carte. That's the sellers job. Around here most sales don't have price tags on items, unless it's an estate sale company and even some of them don't price everything. So when the seller just looks in my box and shuffles a few items around then gives me a really good price, who am I to argue?

Last edited:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
When I started garage sailing, I could see marks with my own naked eyes - usually. Now all I can tell is if it's marked, (or scratched); nothing more. To top it off I lost my precious BelOmo loupe, so maybe I just needed to change my game. If I'm somewhere with 5,000 items, including jewelry. I've decided to look at the non-jewelry items first.

Around here at Sales & Auctions, it hardly pays to go & look at Jewelry or Coins.
there is almost always 2 types of people hogging the displays.

1 with a Jewelers loop looking very close and very Slowly for hours preventing anyone else from getting to the display . :BangHead:

and the other who will grab and pay outrageous prices because Cash for Gold is paying big Dividends :laughing7: and Home Shopping club says they are rare
because there are actual human fingerprints all over them.

tomhighland

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2015
In MI woods
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Same here. Small area one company. They always advertise old fishing lures. When you get there it is always a smelly box with empty trays except for the rusty hooks, homemade lead weights and broken bits and pieces of whatever. One time they had $2.50 on a 6 volt flashlight w/o battery. I pointed out that the battery is about 6 bucks. But at most big box stores you get a brand new one with battery for $3.50.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread