Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this pen and ink drawing recently, and am wondering if the work looks familiar to anyone.
I believe it's the Empire State building, so the drawing is no earlier than 1931.
Bought it for $2.00, so I'm not out any real money.
Plus, I like it.
Size is about 6x10". Can not make out the signature, hoping someone here may. It appears to be signed in pencil.
Thanks in advance,
Carl

Attachments

• Print#1.jpg
    Print#1.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 100
  • Print#3.JPG
    Print#3.JPG
    353.3 KB · Views: 94

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say no latter then the early 1950's based on the boat, but that's just a thought...:dontknow:

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I was thinking 40-50's. Wish I could a better shot of the autograph, it looks like a capitol letter "A", followed by a "W".
Or an "h". Or I don't know what.
Carl

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's actually what you'd call a drypoint, which is a form of engraving. So it has a few brother and sister prints (probably a small run/edition) I'd start with a search for Brooklyn bridge drypoint and any initials you can make out! It's pretty!

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mystery solved: you should google Anton Shutz 'Brooklyn bridge.' A 1929 drypoint, worth over a grand. Nicely found! Great eye!

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Score!!!
Thank you so much Shinythings, I knew someone here would be able to figure it out.
Had a good feeling about the engraving, (which made up for the silver plated pitcher that I was hoping
was sterling) and a carnival glass plate sized candy dish? that I need to post here.
Kept staring at it with a magnifying glass, couldn't tell if it was drawn with a pencil or pen.
Now off to do some further research on it.
Thanks again,
Carl

OP
OP
curbdiggercarl57

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now I'm starting to think that it might not be an original engraving. The size is too small for all that I've seen online,
and I just found that there is a collection of his engravings published in 1939, (Anton Schutz New York in Etchings)
Also, looking closer at the autograph, it seems to be in the same shading as the rest of the piece.
I'll need to bring it somewhere to verify, but I'm starting to lean towards a reprint from the book. Oh well, guess it
goes back on the wall and not FleaBay. It was fun while it lasted, and thanks again!
Carl

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions