Silver Plate or Solid Silver? Goblet Help!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked these up for dirt cheap $6. Now I know if its not marked its usually silver plated. I noticed however the tarnish on these looks like tarnish on sterling? Maybe I'm completely wrong lol... They have markings on the bottom but theyre worn down and unreadable... On one cup there is an A.A mark maybe AA silver plate? or initials? On the other cup there is what looks to be a M on the bottom... What do you guys think? I don't have a test kit. I scratched the bottom of one and it looks like silver underneath?
20160314_175214.jpg 20160314_175218.jpg 20160314_175231.jpg 20160314_175246.jpg 20160314_175259.jpg

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote plate. Double A is a stamp I've seen before on plate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I vote plate. Double A is a stamp I've seen before on plate.

See I thought that too... But whys it only one cup and the other has an M

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Test kits are cheap.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are plated. AA is a type of plate mark the same way A1 is as well. ( not the A1 sauce [emoji12]).

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see these all the time at thrift stores. In many cases you can see either a made in India label or the glue where the label had once been. Keep looking there out there though.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
India is killing it with all of the metalware that is ending up in thrift stores! I hate that label as much as jewelry marked Monet and Avon!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
India is killing it with all of the metalware that is ending up in thrift stores! I hate that label as much as jewelry marked Monet and Avon!

Or the dreaded PD on jewerly! ( Premier Designs.). And Geneve watches.

Piledriver

May 21, 2011
In the photo's the silver tarnish shows up quite well.
I have found that this particular kind of bluish-black tarnish and spotting (especially around the brim and sides) is a trait of plated stuff....it was evident very quickly.

Sterling and other silvers tarnish also of course, but has a different appearance.

One of my first lessons as a picker was to reject all of the junk that has black paint in the seams and cracks to make it look like silver.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the photo's the silver tarnish shows up quite well.
I have found that this particular kind of bluish-black tarnish and spotting (especially around the brim and sides) is a trait of plated stuff....it was evident very quickly.

Sterling and other silvers tarnish also of course, but has a different appearance.

One of my first lessons as a picker was to reject all of the junk that has black paint in the seams and cracks to make it look like silver.
The bluish black thing seems to be mostly true.... I don't have pictures but I bought a sugar and creamer set and the sugar cup tarnished just like plate silver, with blue/black/purple hues and its sterling... Tarnish is very conceiving, oh well

Tested the cups they're...............plated!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Me too. Though Avon did put out some sterling rings that look Danish in design and those are salable if you buy right.

Last edited:

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
You are right! I picked up two Avon silver rings a couple weeks ago and was suspicious of them. I can't find my acid test kit!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread