When it rains, well. You know...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is my sob story for the day or the next three months. A couple weeks ago I raced my son at a park thought for sure I can beat him and I stepped in a hole and twisted my ankle pretty bad. Went by a couple weeks afterwards and no problem. But driving up to Orlando having my foot on the gas pedal for such a long time really aggravated the back of my foot. I haven't been able to walk right sense. Drove home and the back of my ankle is super swollen so I'm going to get an MRI this week and probably going to have surgery to repair my Achilles' tendon. Because the doctor thinks it ruptured or badly damaged. My insurance sucks so probably all of my profits I've had in the last six months are going to go away. I'm really in a bad place right now...

I know money comes and money goes but we have a four-day pass and another vacation for the whole family plus my sisters family and her daughter to Orlando and Disney in two weeks. My kids can't wait and I don't even want to walk to the mailbox. Let alone walk in the parks... Sigh, I'm sad...

Anyone have this surgery or know anyone that did?

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hang in there Beachkid! I don't know much about Achilles injury but my understanding is that people who have that injury usually know it right away. I would get a second opinion before rushing into surgery.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to hear about your Achilles' tendon. Just went through ATR surgery last Sept. It's no picnic but it takes time to heal. The first two months was no fun at all but I was able to begin to drive once the cam boot came off 10 weeks post procedure. Diagnosing a complete tendon rupture does not even require an MRI. Achilles tendon rupture Tests and diagnosis - Mayo Clinic.

This site will give you an idea of the healing process. Achilles Tendon Repair Rehab Protocol

After rupturing my bicep and Achilles' tendons and surgeries last year I've become somewhat of an expert. If you need any info feel free to PM me. My best advice is to remain positive, it just takes time to heal.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might be torn. Like it's not too bad in the morning but by the end of the day it's hard to go to bed at night. I might be jumping the gun too on the surgery but I'll tell you what by nighttime I just want to cry.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Rent a wheelchair, bring a doctor's note, and enjoy! They may even let your family bypass the lines to get on rides. I had a problem with my ankle and foot for a few months a while back. Be willing to adapt to your injury. If you can't walk, ride.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rent a wheelchair, bring a doctor's note, and enjoy! They may even let your family bypass the lines to get on rides. I had a problem with my ankle and foot for a few months a while back. Be willing to adapt to your injury. If you can't walk, ride.

Rich people totally screwed the system for those who really need it. They were hiring disabled people to pose as family members so they could buck the system without paying VIP prices. Now the disability access card is more like a fast pass. I wish I could express how I really feel about this without being censored.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man that sucks! Sorry to hear that BK. It's a possibility that it may just be a bad case of tendinitis. I've torn and broken several things in the past and I'm thinking that if you tore something you would know it right away. Especially the Achilles' tendon. I'm also thinking plantar fasciitis. That pain goes from the bottom of the foot and goes up the back of the heal sometimes. It's an issue that seems ok in the morning, then gets worse in the evening. I have that so I use good inserts and stretch my feet a lot. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MRI Monday, so I'll know soon. I'm hoping for the best scenario as when anyone. Thank you all for your comments I went bought some new shoes and I haven't taken them off very much. So we will see...

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Get a second opinion if possible… The newest trend with Achilles ruptures is to not do surgery…

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With insurance, $1800 for the MRI. So we're going to have to save up for that for a little bit. I'm not putting that on the credit card there's no way. on a scale of 1 to 10 I'll deal with it for a little bit longer. I don't think it's torn after couple days it feels a lot better but still annoying especially in the morning and at night. But a friend of ours is a physical therapist I'm going to get some advice from her for a little bit and see if it gets better before gets worse. Hope that doesn't blow up in my face but we'll see.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not to take this thread in a political direction, but it's stories like these that really make me angry. We are supposed to be the nation's wealthiest country and even with the passage of Obamacare there are still situations like this. The fact we do not have a single payer healthcare is a disgrace. The oligarchs are fleecing our country.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to here that. I hope you find a big score to help you out

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's nuts, sorry that happened whatever it was.

I guess I could have 1 foot done because then it was only $900. But if that's just for the MRI and how much to get it repaired three grand? $10,000... Crazy.. I could put it in the credit card, but I'll see if it gets that bad first.

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tore my Achilles back in 94 or 95. Surgery, got hooked on painkillers for a few months and to this day that ankle ain't right. If you torn it, you'd know right away. When my injury happened, it took me down immediately.
Good luck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread