TWO Bucket List Watches! Lots of designer pieces too.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an estate sale today and again it was half price day. I had scoped it out the day before and had my eye on a few things. Thankfully everything was still there. I managed to get two watches on my bucket list. One was a Gruen Curvex and the other was a Vulcain Cricket Alarm watch. The Gruen is fairly worn and it has a broken stem with missing crown but I was able to still wind it and it keeps perfect time. I will be getting a new stem and crown soon. I also picked up the Vulcain Cricket watch. This is the first mechanical wrist watch to have an alarm and was owned by President Truman Eisenhower and Johnson. This is a really cool mechanical system. Mine is gold filled and has a cracked crystal but works great. I paid $45 for the Vulcain and $10 for the Gruen. The Vulcain should be worth in the $250 range as is and up to $500 when fixed. The Gruen is probably not worth too much but at least i have one now. I also got a gold filled working ladies Benrus for $2.50.

I also picked up a large collection of Miller Opie and M Miller Matthews designer silver pieces. The total weight is 7 ozt. and I paid $120. I think I have about $400-500 in sale potential. All of them are handworked and I believe these were pieces given to their mom. It was a great weekend.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522491.505153.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522510.696175.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522526.649590.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522541.561734.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522553.631760.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522572.775081.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522582.195771.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522593.101467.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522656.417298.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458522670.309309.jpg

Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well done. It seems like watches are hot right now with everyone's posts here. The sterling pieces are really nice.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know it's a good watch when you go to the watch repair man and he says wow where did you get that watch? He Replaced the Crystal for $29 and it looks stupendous!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go!!!... Gruen watches sell good in many cases. I think you could get as much as $75. "or more" on the long curvex you got as-is if you hold on at least that price. The movement alone running would sell maybe for that?.. I've been keeping all the interesting old vintage mens wristwatches lately. I put them away for a rainy day kind of thing. They always sell good for a decent amount with ease, because they're are so many collectors all over the world to sell em to. Here's two Gruen's I've hung on to for those rainy days. Both run good. The old original box I picked up at a thrift store and they also have a good resale market on their own. I've gotten some outstanding returns on a few old OEM watch boxes I've sold.

Attachments

• gruen watches.jpg
    gruen watches.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go!!!... Gruen watches sell good in many cases. I think you could get as much as $75. "or more" on the long curvex you got as-is if you hold on at least that price. The movement alone running would sell maybe for that?.. I've been keeping all the interesting old vintage mens wristwatches lately. I put them away for a rainy day kind of thing. They always sell good for a decent amount with ease, because they're are so many collectors all over the world to sell em to. Here's two Gruen's I've hung on to for those rainy days. Both run good. The old original box I picked up at a thrift store and they also have a good resale market on their own. I've gotten some outstanding returns on a few old OEM watch boxes I've sold.

Those are some really nice watches you get there. I can't believe the Vulcain Cricket lasted to the second day. A quick search would've showed that they sell for a lot of money

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread