One of a Kind Find! Great 12k SOLID Glasses!

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys got back from an antique store I had never been to before. Took a look around nothing worth buying until I spotted these in a case. They were hard to see if you were just glancing and walking by. I had the salesperson take them out to see them. At first I thought 12k Gold Filled because they made a ton of glasses out of that. But on the tag it said 12k gold frame, I think they thought they were gold filled as well but there was no GF mark on the frame anywhere. Took a chance and bought them for a whopping $16. I had them tested for 12k gold and what do you know, they passed!! These glasses are indeed solid 12k and they are marked Frame Italy as well. Really good condition for as old as I think they are... maybe early 1900s? No idea so hopefully you all can help out!! I can't find solid 12k glasses anywhere online, all gold filled. They weigh 37grams with lens in and all, so maybe a minimum of 10grams of gold maybe more. Any idea guys on the age of these? Certainly not scrapping them.
20160322_181455.jpg 20160322_1816.jpg 20160322_181417.jpg 20160322_181407.jpg

joee5

Dec 16, 2015
Central New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excaliber II
Whites XLT
Garrett PP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Remind me of Mr Magoo.
Seriously though, nice score

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was told they never made glasses that were solid. SWEET. LOL scrap in my book!! Only value to me is the gold. No idea on age, congrats.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told they never made glasses that were solid. SWEET. LOL scrap in my book!! Only value to me is the gold. No idea on age, congrats.
I thought they never did either.... That's why they aren't scrap imo!

ScubaDetector

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2016
Port Huron MI
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 Fisher CZ-21's 8 and 10" coils
Tesoro Tiger Shark 8 and 10" coils (Interchangeable)
Minelab E-Trac with Sun Ray Probe
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Because of the plastic ends, my guess is they were made after the 1950's.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They do exist. I was told there are solid gold old frames out there and I've looked at so many I can't count. Still looking. That's an awesome score.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've found a few pairs of pince nez* glasses that were gold over the last 5 years. They generally also have a gold safety chain. Haven't ever found gold eyeglasses.

*-pince nez are the ones that clip to the nose without earpieces

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I scraped a broken pair recently of 10k gold ones. They were 7.8 grams. And they had no frames. Just the eye piece and ear pieces! Yours look way chunkier then mine were. Awesome find!

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I scraped a broken pair recently of 10k gold ones. They were 7.8 grams. And they had no frames. Just the eye piece and ear pieces! Yours look way chunkier then mine were. Awesome find!
Well unfortunately its not looking good. I took them to another place who had a metal gun. I was feeling really good until they tested them, im bummed out. Turns out the machine said 9k plate probable... i guess they arent gold. I guess the acid test failed? Damn

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are gold frames but the vast majority are gold filled. Even the gold filled go for a good price if they are in good shape. Check them out better for sure.....

Screenshot (118).png Screenshot (119).png

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Yea, I didn't want to rain on your parade but I was thinking "gold filled" as soon as I saw them.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well unfortunately its not looking good. I took them to another place who had a metal gun. I was feeling really good until they tested them, im bummed out. Turns out the machine said 9k plate probable... i guess they arent gold. I guess the acid test failed? Damn

I was just going to ask if the first tester actually filed a groove in the frame to test. With my electronic tester, on some gold filled, it will read as if it was solid, but then when I do a DEEP groove the true reading shows up.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I've screwed the pooch before and that (12K only) mark could have taken the breath away on many of us. Still you could get more then the $16 out of them I think. Claim they were once owned by Hirohito.

Attachments

• herohito.jpg
    herohito.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 90

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread