Help with this watch...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was in a box I got a couple weeks ago. Didn't really think much of it I looked at it today as I was going through that box again and saw the name Tissot.... Whatever that is, so I looked it up.

So I guess I have a couple questions now. Like 1 how do you get the back off of this type of watch?
2nd, is it a knock off? Because it doesn't have any words on the front of it? All of the other ones I see Say Tissot on the face.
This does work, it does not look too pretty. But I don't want to go about ruining it before I try to open it. There must be a special tool to open it up I'm guessing?
Also are they worth much? Didn't see another like it. Thanks!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458878316.195010.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458878347.226244.jpg

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'll order one off-line.
The closest place to take it to Sears and being in season this time of year, it's a good 40 minute drive. Just to get there. And it seems like half the time when I do get there they're closed. The watch part. And down the road from there is all the pawnshops and cash for gold stores. I live in a really good section of town for retail. My wife and kids love it! Me on the other hand, eh, not so much... There's just no where close to go.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
order a good quality watch repair tool set off of amazon. use the watch wrench to unscrew the caseback. tissot is an under-rated mid-grade swiss watch. I buy any watch with the tissot name on it. they make some very good automatics in the $500 range

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
order a good quality watch repair tool set off of amazon. use the watch wrench to unscrew the caseback. tissot is an under-rated mid-grade swiss watch. I buy any watch with the tissot name on it. they make some very good automatics in the $500 range
uploadfromtaptalk1458903894463.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1458903894463.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1458903894463.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 109

rubytuesday

Mar 21, 2009
Take it to a watchmaker, they will have the tool to open the back without putting scrape marks on it. My educated guess is that its a genuine Tissot, look at the greenish marks on the case loops where i'm guessing a leather strap was once fitted. You generally only get this after many years of wear which would indicate its pretty old, way before they were doing fakes.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Typical of a watch from the WW2 era. Sold as a Swiss made rugged dust, waterproof, anti-magnetic and cased in stainless steel wrist watch for the demand of the time. There were many makers from that time that only had a short life in production also. Yours of course is a real TISSOT IMO. On others the movement may have a less common name, but it will be a well made Swiss movement and some made by Vacheron & Constantin and other high-end makers, such as JL. I bought a case opener from Walmart. They sell them now in the watch battery section and mine was less then 6 bucks. It's an adjustable spanner type wrench. Not the best, but it works if your careful.

Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, be careful. I took an expensive watch to a well known Jewelry place for battery replacement and they scratched the crap out of the back and did not tell me. So to all, if you do not do this already, you and the battery changer person should look at the condition of the watch before the watch goes to the back of the store to be worked on.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is A real Tissot watch but it clearly has a cleaned or repainted face. I can see Remnants of the name on the dial. That will take away from its value but it's pretty good movement I suspect.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is A real Tissot watch but it clearly has a cleaned or repainted face. I can see Remnants of the name on the dial. That will take away from its value but it's pretty good movement I suspect.

Thanks for your help and everyone else. I will it to my jeweler when I get back home next week.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Tissot story - I was about finished at non-commercial estate sale where you had to dig through everything (my favorite kind ). So I saw a newer box marked Tissot, about 5 by 5 inches, lots of graphics and very heavy. I looked on the bottom, and there was the original sticker of around $750.00. Opened the top, and saw papers and a small booklet about Tissot. I didn't bother to look further because the weight told me a watch was inside. I quickly paid the $5.00 they wanted and got the hell out of there before they had second thoughts. Got home, and of course, no watch. The weight was from about 4 small books which fit into the box and were about the history of Tissot, brands, operating instructions, etc. Oh well, at least I have a box to match to a Tissot when I find one.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tissot's are a middle level brand of decent quality. Keep the box and keep looking. They are out there.

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I ahve that exact same box up on Ebay for about $55 right now. I expect I'll probably sell it for about $25-$30. There were the extra links for the original watch band in the box too. I sold those for $22 rather quickly.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread