First Jewelry (sterling) find at garage sale!

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked these pieces at a garage sale this late morning. These were leftovers after the likes of Beachkid23 had had they way with all of the loot. :-) The necklace reads TJ-42 925 Mexico Sterling. The other piece just reads sterling. Any idea at what amount I should price it on E? What should I Mex4.jpg Mex2.jpg Mex3.jpg Mex1.jpg use to clean it? Thank you to all. I appreciate it.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job!! I would use wrights silver cream or Hagarty or something like that. Don't use Tarnex!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. The captain was right. Wrights is great. As for listing prices I would start the pendant at $12.95 and the necklace I'm not sure because I don't know the weight but in the $29.95 range. But that is me.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked these pieces at a garage sale this late morning. These were leftovers after the likes of Beachkid23 had had they way with all of the loot. :-) The necklace reads TJ-42 925 Mexico Sterling. The other piece just reads sterling. Any idea at what amount I should price it on E? What should I View attachment 1290599 View attachment 1290597 View attachment 1290598 View attachment 1290596 use to clean it? Thank you to all. I appreciate it.

Haha! Are you local in Fort Myers?

I would not have left any of that. LOL however they are very cool looking and very good finds.I'm out of town for 8 days in Disney. I had to bring Morgan Silverdollar with me because looking at all those new expensive stuff is rough! My buddy got a gold bracelet this weekend. I got nothing... But good luck to you and I hope there are several more to come!

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to all, I appreciate it. I actually live in Orlando. Good thing I don't live in the Fort Myers area or else my family and I would go hungry with you around! :-) Joking! Jewelry wise, I always search for high end wristwatches. With so much costume jewelry, it can be a little challenging determining the good stuff. I'll be keeping my eyes open moving forward, and hopefully find some real scores. Thanks again and all the best.

rja

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Orlando for the next 5 days. Is there any thrift stores worth hitting? Of coarse I'm in the Disney area...

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Orlando for the next 5 days. Is there any thrift stores worth hitting? Of coarse I'm in the Disney area...

I like the "Community Thrift", they always have high volume of everything. The closest one to you that I know is below. The other one is on Edgewater. Aside from that, I frequent the gw and sa, Habitat, and independents. We do have a really nice swap meet on Sat and Sun at the Orange Co. Fairgrounds west of I4 on Colonial. Good luck, wait, you're Beachkid23 and don't need it.

Address: 5444 S Orange Ave, Edgewood, FL 32809
Address: 6015 Edgewater Dr, Orlando, FL 32810

rja

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Metro Retro

Apr 8, 2013
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The necklace is a piece of Taxco. Consider not cleaning it, but just wiping the high points with a jewelry cloth.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked these pieces at a garage sale this late morning. These were leftovers after the likes of Beachkid23 had had they way with all of the loot. :-) The necklace reads TJ-42 925 Mexico Sterling. The other piece just reads sterling. Any idea at what amount I should price it on E? What should I View attachment 1290599 View attachment 1290597 View attachment 1290598 View attachment 1290596 use to clean it? Thank you to all. I appreciate it.

Went to places on 192 today. Bought these for $15 each. Did a thread in the thrift store section. Also got some $25-30 items for cheap. Checked the pawn shops, they were expensive! Off to Disney tomorrow. Hopefully my legs hold out. The one is really sore already.

! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459303226.651280.jpg

Jayers

Jun 28, 2014
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Just starting out with a BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest way to price common Taxco pieces is this: Weigh them. Melt price is .45 per gram (ish, right now). I have a rule of thumb that I don't sell Taxco for lower than $1 per gram. But this is a heavy necklace; for heavy necklaces and bracelets I start at about $4 a gram. Use Buy it Now, with Best offer and list it at $4 per gram for the price. Drop by 10% every 3 or 4 weeks till you come down to $2 per gram price and hold there. Take any offer you get over the $2/gram mark. You WILL sell it. It's a nice piece. Shouldn't take too long.

For common unsigned pieces I put them up at $2/gram, BIN, and then drop by 10% every couple of weeks (gauging on watchers and view, the more you get, the slower you drop the price), until you hit $1 per gram and hold until you sell.

Those are nice pieces.

OP
OP
artslinger

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Easiest way to price common Taxco pieces is this: Weigh them. Melt price is .45 per gram (ish, right now). I have a rule of thumb that I don't sell Taxco for lower than $1 per gram. But this is a heavy necklace; for heavy necklaces and bracelets I start at about $4 a gram. Use Buy it Now, with Best offer and list it at $4 per gram for the price. Drop by 10% every 3 or 4 weeks till you come down to $2 per gram price and hold there. Take any offer you get over the $2/gram mark. You WILL sell it. It's a nice piece. Shouldn't take too long.

For common unsigned pieces I put them up at $2/gram, BIN, and then drop by 10% every couple of weeks (gauging on watchers and view, the more you get, the slower you drop the price), until you hit $1 per gram and hold until you sell.

Those are nice pieces.

Thank you very much once again to all, I appreciate it. I went to WM and bought a nice digital scale. The necklace comes to 87 grams. :-) What does that translate into dollars? Is it enough for a vacation? :-) I appreciate the feedback.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread