Sites to find sales other than Craigslist?

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to find some groups on Facebook for your area.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should be able to find some groups on Facebook for your area.

Couldn't find any in my area. Just groups with people selling random stuff. However, I was able to find a link to a site that lists some sales so thanks for the suggestion!

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Newspapers. Our's has a garage sale section, or it used to. Maybe your's does also...

cheech

May 6, 2012
FL
Detector(s) used
white's BeachHunter 300/DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never mind should read more post before chiming in

Last edited:

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a local Penny Saver that has a Garage Sale section? If so, their website probably lists all of the sales that are advertised in the printed version. That's where I get most of the garage sales in my area.

Scott

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around here the estate sale companies have email lists you can sign up for to get notified of their sales. Google till you find their websites. They advertise in the paper but not craigslist. I don't get the newspaper so I have to depend on emails.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is nothing there what about Kingsburg or Visalia?

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is nothing there what about Kingsburg or Visalia?

I honestly don't even know where kingsburg is but Visalia takes about 30 minutes each way. Might be worth checking out though.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use this app. It's connected to craigslist. But beats reading the site. $1.99 for the year, to me it's priceless!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1459399817.085213.jpg

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a local Penny Saver that has a Garage Sale section? If so, their website probably lists all of the sales that are advertised in the printed version. That's where I get most of the garage sales in my area.

Scott

The Penny Saver is dead! I oversaw the removal of the last vestiges of there warehouse 8 months ago. Its not much of a loss considering it hardly hand anything worth looking at anymore.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hanford/Lemoore area

My great grandmother lived in Hanford for most of her life, from age 40 something until she died at 103. I've been there plenty and its not a happening place but it is old. Plus you have Bakersfield and Fresno on either end, if you are willing to drive for some good stuff.

Your best bet, in absence of a good sale, is Craigslist but you have to use it correctly. I collect tools, among other items, and 2 weeks ago i chased down a good deal near my house. Once i arrived and bought my item, i was able to take a look around and buy a bunch more great stuff that wasn't advertised but had to go. It turned out the guy was liquidating his parents place after they passed and had little time to clean out before escrow closed. Everything i bought was destined for the large roll-off dumpster in the driveway so he was happy to have the cash instead.

People on craigslist are usually selling extra items at their leisure but some are selling out of necessity. Those are the ones you want to find because usually the 1 advertised item is just the start of what they need to unload.

I've made some great finds doing this an if it works out, you are the only one picking with nobody else getting in the way or bothering you.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My great grandmother lived in Hanford for most of her life, from age 40 something until she died at 103. I've been there plenty and its not a happening place but it is old. Plus you have Bakersfield and Fresno on either end, if you are willing to drive for some good stuff.

Your best bet, in absence of a good sale, is Craigslist but you have to use it correctly. I collect tools, among other items, and 2 weeks ago i chased down a good deal near my house. Once i arrived and bought my item, i was able to take a look around and buy a bunch more great stuff that wasn't advertised but had to go. It turned out the guy was liquidating his parents place after they passed and had little time to clean out before escrow closed. Everything i bought was destined for the large roll-off dumpster in the driveway so he was happy to have the cash instead.

People on craigslist are usually selling extra items at their leisure but some are selling out of necessity. Those are the ones you want to find because usually the 1 advertised item is just the start of what they need to unload.

I've made some great finds doing this an if it works out, you are the only one picking with nobody else getting in the way or bothering you.

Interesting. I've never considered looking around and asking if anything else was for sale. Good tip!

SocalJim

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fresno craigslist seems pretty active and they have a flea market on the weekends.

OP
OP
C

Customx_12

May 22, 2008
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Fresno craigslist seems pretty active and they have a flea market on the weekends.

Yeah but the problem is that Fresno is about an hour drive each way and has a lot of sketchy areas. Not sure the drive would be worth it.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I've never considered looking around and asking if anything else was for sale. Good tip!

After not seeing a lot at a garage sale several years ago, I happened to ask the lady if she had any costume jewelry. She replied, "Costume Jewelry?? Oh my, yes! We got so busy this morning I forgot to set it out".... Being the "First" to look through plastic baggies of jewelry, I found Silver, gold, and a 14kt lady's gold watch for under $10!!! So, I've learned to ask for what I don't see....:tongue3:

There was a "Community Wide Sale" two weeks ago. It was in an up-scale large neighborhood where most sales were clustered into 3 or 4 homes at a time, so once parked, it was like being a kid again and going door to door-Trick-or-Treating.....

Literally, this was the very last street and and very last house before we were leaving the housing addition. A middle aged couple setup two scant tables of kitchen wares on one and sports/commercial caps and sweatshirts on the other at the end of their driveway closest to the street. Not much there, but as always I've learned to ask about costume jewelry AND old woodworking tools, since I'm still looking for a Stanley No. 2 hand plane.

He said, "Well, let me think. Do you need some old wooden glue clamps?"

"SURE", but I had no idea exactly what he was offering.

So, he walked back up to the house, and after a few minutes, down the steep driveway he came clutching something large to his chest. Splayed out past each of his shoulders, at the distance I thought he was carrying a pair of Elk antlers.... It turned out he had two, old parallel clamps that have the wooden threads cut on the spindles. As you'll see in the last picture, in my workshop I have some with the wooden threads, but these were the biggest glue clamps I'd ever seen. The jaws, themselves, measure almost 3"x3" and 2 feet long, and must open 2 feet wide! Made about the turn of the century by R. BLISS MFG. Co., Pawtuckett, R.I.

I found the words and asked him, "How much do you want for both?"

He replied, "They were my grandfather's from when he was in the Navy. My wife won't let me put them up in the house, so I'll never use them.... I'll take $15.00 for the both."

My knees nearly buckled!

The photo shows them standing in a metal chair with a tape measure..... It was a cul-de-sac street, so I'd walked back to our pickup parked at another garage sale and loaded them. When I came back by their table, my wife rolled down her window as I slowed down with a big grin on my face... She waved, smiled, and then spoke loudly,

"Thank You!! You made my husband the happiest man I've seen in months."

Attachments

• Old Wooden Thread 24“  by 3x3” Jaws.JPG
    Old Wooden Thread 24“ by 3x3” Jaws.JPG
    638.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 049.JPG
    049.JPG
    602 KB · Views: 77
  • 034.JPG
    034.JPG
    368.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in the central California valley and there aren't many estate sales and garage sales listed on Craigslist here. What other sites should I be checking? I tried estatesales.net but there's not a whole lot listed there for my area.

Try these sites and see if they cover your area:

Yard Sale Search - Find or advertise garage sales for free!

Find Estate Sales & Tag Sales | EstateSales.org

Garage Sales, Yard Sales & Estate Sales by Map | gsalr.com

Good Luck, Start Early, and keep a lighted 6X+ pocket magnifer with a small super magnet glued to the bottom,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions