Reproduction Rolex, or a missed golden opportunity?

artslinger

Jul 19, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello friends, I came across this Rolex at a local thrift. It looked original, I was thinking gold, but there was no gold stamp. It did not run, and the back had an open case, which did not seem accurate for Rolex watches. The band was signed and also the crown. They were asking $150, but I just could not pull the trigger. Any thoughts from the Rolex aficionados? Thank you.

P.S. the yellow nails are not mine. They are the thrift store girl holding the watch. :-)

rja Rolex1.jpg Rolex2.jpg

Last edited:

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not 100% sure... But I think its definitely fake, the back of it is a giveaway to me. It may be a vintage but if you look up on google "vintage rolex back" most if not all of the back plates are either plain or have some clear writing on it... That looks like a complete mess lol? Also can't really tell from the picture but the writing on the dial looks choppy, rolex writing on the dial is almost perfect.

But I could be totally wrong and missed a golden opportunity haha can't wait to see what others say

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good possibility that you missed a deal.. I have a book on antique Rolex watches and you have pictured one very close to one in the book.

You cannot tell without an accurate going over.. but..........

Micheal

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
That cheap leather band killed it for me. I would have bought it for $25.00 and threw it into a EBay watch lot, but that's it.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't believe I didn't notice but is the back of the case clear? Total fake 100% nice save not wasting 150!

Dapman

Sep 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terrible fake - not even close to what a real Rolex would look like

Glad you didn't waste $150 on it.....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks really fake.....Another sign to look for is the magnifier over the date, fakes don't really magnify the date, all genuine Rolexs do...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made in China imo

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What surprises me about this one is it's not a typical Rolex style that would be faked. The glass back as a giveaway though

bartholomewroberts

Feb 23, 2011
Cedar, B.C.
Detector(s) used
excal2, XP Deus, Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What surprises me about this one is it's not a typical Rolex style that would be faked. The glass back as a giveaway though
Rolex made a model called the Cellini.. it had a display back... but it was a rectangular model .. so this is not it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions