Tricked/lied to by competition

1treasurehunter1

Feb 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett Sea Hunter MK2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to share a quick story about a church sale competitor who deceived me into believing she was a vendor.

I was second in line to a church sale. First time going and they don't know anything about jewelry. I got some good stuff, such as a 10k wedding band for $1, saw a lot of people grab lots of other gold looking items (about 10 people grabbing things left right and center). So I went for some necklaces and grabbed about 20 of them from a rack of like 100. A lady in her 60s says "those aren't priced yet, I'll have to take them and price them", (I'm a guy in my 20s) so I give them to her and continue grabbing other stuff. Most of the people there are older ladies including the vendors so I thought nothing of it.

10 minutes later I pay for my stuff by going to another lady who was cashing people out. There was a look on her face; I think she witnessed what that other lady did 10 minutes earlier and did not say anything in my defense. That other lady (competitor) had already paid for her stuff and proceeded to put a brooch right up to my chest to see how it would look (wtf?). I just sort of laughed and walked away to another table and picked up a large sterling and cut glass pickle dish for $10.

I didn't know what to say, I was kind of in a state of shock and disgust. What would you have done?

My plan is to go and volunteer at the church sale next year, bring some costume jewelry and donate them to the lady running the jewelry table. Pick up something off her table and curiously ask her what her pricing is. Tell her it's worth a lot more, say $20 for a 10k ring instead of $1, buy it all up before the sale and if I can't, weigh it and offer like 70% of spot. That deceiving lady will never get a piece of gold at this sale ever again.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Used to have a poster in my classroom. It said, "Old age and treachery will beat youth and enthusiasm every time. Guess you know what that means now...

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm in the "old age" group, but I'm anything BUT treacherous! If that had happened to me right now, I probably would have reacted identical to 1TH1. My wife, on the other hand.... :boxing:

It's funny. When we first got married, I was always the one who had to stand up for our rights. Now, I don't even get a chance to figure out what's going on before she's setting the record straight! :laughing7:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's typical of people now a days. People disappointment me the way they lie and cheat. It is really pathetic out there. Some of the estate sales i've been to you get literally knocked out of the way. I just keep my cool and look for the things everyone misses.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's typical of people now a days. People disappointment me the way they lie and cheat. It is really pathetic out there. Some of the estate sales i've been to you get literally knocked out of the way. I just keep my cool and look for the things everyone misses.
Me too, although an occasional well placed foot will do wonders for the bum rushers too.

Tripping-you-up-200x200.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We went to an auction about 12-13 years ago. There were several boxes of old doillies; some tatted, some knitted, etc. My wife, like everyone else, looked through the boxes and decided which box(es) she wanted to bid on. She got 2 boxes, but the doillies she wanted weren't in there. "Gee, that's funny", we thought, until my wife spotted a woman looking through a box that "HAD" crap in it, that suddenly had all the best stuff from all the boxes.

Takes all kinds!!

Just one instance of MANY!!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read an article recently that had a small anecdote that is somewhat relevant. A motel owner was curious about the trustworthiness of his patrons, so he conducted a social experiment. When they came in to check in, he would pretend to be on the phone, and while they were a few steps away but still in hearing distance he would tell his wife that someone had just called to say that they had left a suitcase behind with over $1000 inside. He then planted a suitcase with a cheap lock in the closet of the patron's room. He tried this on 20 or so people including a minister, a military officer, and a Lawyer. Only 2 of them returned the suitcase to the office, the rest broke the lock and attempted to dispose of the empty case. The minister, for example, pushed the suitcase out of the bathroom window into the bushes after breaking the lock.

Just goes to show honesty is unfortunately in short supply.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a church yard sale a couple years ago and there was a big line to get in. There was a big rush at the jewelry section and this old woman just grabbed handful after handful of jewelry and putting it in her bag. Then she went off into a corner and searched through it all picking out the nice stuff before going back to the jewelry table and dumping all the crap back on the table.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I probably would have exchanged words with her. Or ran her over in the parking lot. That would've put me in a bad mood that's for sure.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People like this just suck! Their day will come though. What goes around comes around!! Karma's a bi&$@ sometimes. ☠

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a church yard sale a couple years ago and there was a big line to get in. There was a big rush at the jewelry section and this old woman just grabbed handful after handful of jewelry and putting it in her bag. Then she went off into a corner and searched through it all picking out the nice stuff before going back to the jewelry table and dumping all the crap back on the table.
That is a common occurance here at all estate, garage, and yard sales!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that's why the saying goes, don't trust whitey!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
If this type of behavior upsets you then don't come to NJ. This is common around here. I have been cursed at, pushed, bumped, elbowed, cut in line more times than I can count, had stuff taken right from my hand, you name it. Any more, I just go about my business shaking my head. It just isn't worth getting worked up over this stuff.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
If this type of behavior upsets you then don't come to NJ. This is common around here. I have been cursed at, pushed, bumped, elbowed, cut in line more times than I can count, had stuff taken right from my hand, you name it. Any more, I just go about my business shaking my head. It just isn't worth getting worked up over this stuff.

My wife has told me of a couple of instances over recent years where someone actually tried to take something out of her hand. She's a tiger though and won't back down! I keep telling her to get my attention when it happens, but she always has the situation under control quickly. ...I trained her well! :laughing7:

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
I hear ya. For some reason this year it seems like people have been more aggressive. The one behavior that still irritates me is when my competitors arrive early at an estate sale and walk up to the homeowners window to pear in. I have literally seen people trample peoples flower beds to look in. Mind you these are family member run estate sales so these people have just had a loved one die.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions