Getting Even With Competition/Rude Shoppers

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In response to 1treasurehunter1's thread, how about some stories about settling the score between rude/pushy jerks that you frequently bump into at sales. I recently had an experience, and another shared by my dad, that made me laugh all weekend.

I was first in to an estate sale, it really wasn't great and prices were high, so i punched out my check list and finally came to jewelry. I went to the table and started to look at a few items then noticed the 2 huge bags of loose jewelry. A woman was looking through one so i asked, loudly, if she was looking at both? I received a glare as she pulled the other bag closer to herself and put her purse on top of it as she frantically went through the open bag. The woman at the counter picked up on what i was doing and said "you can't hold that other bag and you have to let this gentleman look at it" She tossed the half searched bag to me and opened the closed bag.

I started to thumb through it and after spying something useful, i knew what i had to do. At the very bottom was a reproduction 10.00 gold indian head coin that was passable as real. I pulled it out and said to the cashier with a grin, "did you know there is a gold coin in here?" The woman next to me about stroked out because that should of been her gold coin! As we discussed a way to "price" the coin, the woman stormed out in a seething rage. The cashier had already seen it and knew it was a repro (the back was marked Frank's Numismatic Tokens) and laughed about the joke and thanked me for the entertainment.

The other story was from my dad. He's an avid antique hunter/collector, and with 50+ years of hunting, knows his stuff well. He remembers a really pushy lady that would show up to sales hours before (no problem there) but would knock and expected to be let in early because she was there first. On top of being rude, demanding and generally unpleasant, she was shrill and would take stuff off hold tables and lie to get her way. She was crazy about antique dolls and my dad knew this. After some research in the Antiques Collector magazine he subscribed to, he was ready for this devil woman and set the stage.

At his yearly garage sale, he awaited the arrival of the "doll lady", knowing she couldn't resist his well-worded ad. She arrived shortly after the start time to do some quick rummaging of the wares. Unsatisfied with the offerings, she wanted to know if there were any dolls for sale. Not missing a beat, my dad explained that he had given his GRANDMOTHERS dolls away to the neighbors 5 year old daughter. He told her there were no Cabbage Patch Dolls, which were very popular at the time, just some porcelain "red cross" dolls that were old and dingy looking. I don't remember the manufacturer Dad mentioned but the "red cross" doll was quite rare and worth upwards of 3000.00 at the time.

After hearing my dad's response, she turned pale and just sort of wandered off. Ever since that day, when my dad bumped into her, he asked her if she had found any Cabbage Patch dolls lately:laughing7:

Have any fellow Tnet members exacted any revenge for those "hunters" who were so deserving of it? Share your stories, please! I could use the laughs this morning

Last edited:

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stories!

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not so much of a revenge story but more of "your busted". Shopping in the thrift store I picked an unopened uboat model kit in my basket. As I was walking in the store I noticed that another female customer had the exact same model kit but the box was in better condition as my box was bent. I mentioned to her "gee, we found the same thing" and she acknowledged me. A while later I noticed the model was missing out of my basket. I looked around the store and spotted her. There in her basket were the two models hers and my bent box. I asked her if she took it from my basket. She denied it and offered to give it to me.

I waited till she left the store and then placed it back on the shelf because of the damage on the box.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasnt a yard sale getting even but still was sweet. Was buying half dollars for CRHing when it was obvious that I was buying this guys dumps while he was there. He made a big deal about me ending up with his dumps. Apparently he had something going with the teller. A couple weeks later I picked up some good solid rolls of silver halves and i saved the wrappers. They had 64 kennedy and franklin and silver halves written on them. After filling them with clad halves and a note that read "EAT MY DUMPS AHOLE! i took them back to the bank and made sure that particular teller waited on me....

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Entertaining stories, yes, but I just cant be bothered to concern myself over other people's bad behavior. If you take it personally, then they have won.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I only take it personally for a few minutes. After a short while, I've alread....wait, what was I saying?? :icon_scratch:

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wasnt a yard sale getting even but still was sweet. Was buying half dollars for CRHing when it was obvious that I was buying this guys dumps while he was there. He made a big deal about me ending up with his dumps. Apparently he had something going with the teller. A couple weeks later I picked up some good solid rolls of silver halves and i saved the wrappers. They had 64 kennedy and franklin and silver halves written on them. After filling them with clad halves and a note that read "EAT MY DUMPS AHOLE! i took them back to the bank and made sure that particular teller waited on me....

That's the type of story I want to hear! It took 3 seconds of your time and you taught Mr. coin roll a bit of humility.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually get vocal with people who don't know how to act. I don't tolerate rude, crude, animalistic behavior by supposed human adults. I expect people to act in a respectful and civil manner, when that doesn't happen, I'll call you out on it, in front of everyone. I can get real immature if need be. I have no problem stooping. Other than that, you'll never hear a peep from me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread