Help with pocket watch..

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought one today but I'm looking for information on the 1st one. I don't know much about the one i did buy. Here is the unknown

. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460823665.890855.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460823714.823056.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460823737.942539.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460823781.156095.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460823803.995745.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460824146.485533.jpg

Here is the one I bought. For $50. Sorry for the short thread were trying to get out the door.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460823856.607953.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460823896.556225.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460823940.973599.jpg

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The unknown is probably a Swiss made movement. Bad thing is it's a cylinder watch. If it runs, no problem. If it doesn't then it could be a problem. Not many watchmakers work on cylinders and the ones that do charge accordingly.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one you may never know who made it. Yes, it is what they call a swiss bar movement. Here is a link that explains some of that. Scroll down to swiss movements.Who made my watch?
Cool case! Is that shield raised on the back? It looks like it from the pictures.
What does it say below the numbers on the case? I can't make that out! Is it a name?

The second is an "American watch Co." watch. The company name changed a few times. If dial is original, the watch is pre 1885. That probably has been re-cased. That is a hunting case movement, in an open face case. They call them side winders, but that's just a way of saying "wrong case".:laughing7: That and like I have done, scrap the gold or silver case that was in poor shape, and have a nice movement. It's easier to find better open face cases, so you stick the better movement in what you have around. Still Good!! But just shows it probably isn't original. Not a big deal to most people. It might be a 11 to 17 jewel from the looks of the hands and dial. lever set, Just a wild guess!

If you post a pic of the inside the serial number will give a closer date and model.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waltham_Watch_Company

Cool finds!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. The top one does work but I didn't know how much to offer for because It look so primitive and to me as far as I know I kind of might mean cheap. But I just wasn't sure. Yother want to try to figure how to get it open I think it turns but I have not been able to get it to go. They both do work though.

I also got a 5.3 g fighting ring for $100 and some sterling silver scrap spoons for about $16.

They had a sterling flatware set but she wanted $1000 for it. Scrap was that $519 because it was a partial set. attend or gold keys. 2 1/2 dollar gold piece. Some silver dollars, half dollars and quarters. Along with this watch pictured below. But I guess they were too wealthily, they were interested in anything I was offering. So in a way I was happy with what I got but I was disappointed with what I left.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460832818.125733.jpg

Here is the pocket watch collection. Sorry for the bad pic. The center is a 0 gauge? 14k. Still learning.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460832906.250409.jpg

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you very much. The top one does work but I didn't know how much to offer for because It look so primitive and to me as far as I know I kind of might mean cheap. But I just wasn't sure. Yother want to try to figure how to get it open I think it turns but I have not been able to get it to go. They both do work though.

I also got a 5.3 g fighting ring for $100 and some sterling silver scrap spoons for about $16.

They had a sterling flatware set but she wanted $1000 for it. Scrap was that $519 because it was a partial set. attend or gold keys. 2 1/2 dollar gold piece. Some silver dollars, half dollars and quarters. Along with this watch pictured below. But I guess they were too wealthily, they were interested in anything I was offering. So in a way I was happy with what I got but I was disappointed with what I left.

View attachment 1300234

Here is the pocket watch collection. Sorry for the bad pic. The center is a 0 gauge? 14k. Still learning.

View attachment 1300235

The center one looks about 6 size? But it's hard to tell from the pic.

Did you try opening the big one (18 size) by the front? It might be a swing out case! If you unscrew the front and you can see a fingernail groove at the bottom to lift up on, it's a swing out.If that is what it is? sometimes you have to pull up on the crown and gentle swing the movement up. If and when you do run into those cases? 1. Watch you don't slip and jam a hand under your fingernail. 2 Be careful not to slip and break off the second hand and pinion!:laughing7: Don't ask how I know this! :laughing7:

You may have already seen these, here's a couple of pics of one in case you haven't.

View attachment 1300249 View attachment 1300250

Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find BK!! The first one looks Sterling or at least coin silver. I have a couple of English Sterling watches that look just like it. Or very similar. Any hallmarks?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, sorry I have not had time to mess with it this weekend. Hopefully I can get the neighbor to watch my daughter so I can get my packages wrapped up tomorrow and then have some time to check it out.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
BK, the older two key is I think a Neuchatel Quartier similar to the one I have, Yours is different in that you do not have a face cover where mine does. What is your case material, mine is Sterling with a gold wash on the outer faces.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I actually don't have that one. I bought the gold filled one but I did not buy the other one because I didn't know very much about it. So I have to call the guy back on Thursday or Friday this week.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I actually don't have that one. I bought the gold filled one but I did not buy the other one because I didn't know very much about it. So I have to call the guy back on Thursday or Friday this week.

What kind are you looking for? :laughing7: Just curious! I might know a guy that knows a guy that heard where there "might" be a few!:laughing7:

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
BK, not running, full sterling case with cover, the neuchatel quartier two key model runs about $300 on ebay. Medium to slow turnover rate.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread