Nice vintage stereo system!

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to my first city wide sales of the year. Didn't find much except for this sweet vintage stereo system. The price was $75 for all four items but they took my $65 offer. I'm going to clean and test them tomorrow. If everything works then I might be able to clear $300 on eBay. Sorry for the poor quality pics. I took them in a hurry.

Technics SU-7700 amplifier
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460846255.947347.jpg

Technics ST-7300 tuner
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460846308.873572.jpg

Technics SL-2000 turntable... This one looks nice
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460846350.944751.jpg

Akai GX-F35 cassette deck
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1460846396.751460.jpg

I don't have any records to test the turntable so I stopped by the local thrift store and picked this up for 10 cents. I'm not going to post the name of the album here but you can see it here. I thought it was interesting that the Christian themed store would this for sale...

https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/172147146934

Good luck and happy hunting everyone.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for an old system like that. All I find are the cheap ones. What kind of Speaker you got to go along with the system? I have about 50 albums from the 70s that have not been played in a long time.

OP
OP
T

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now I just have some cheap vintage floyds that I use to test with. I would like to find some better ones but only if they're on sale lol.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice system! Did you get any speakers with it?
You can sometimes find nice stereo equipment in pawn shops, too.
I have my old stereo from the '70's, and maybe 100 old vinyl albums, mostly '70's and '80's.

I can't turn a CD player up, without it skipping. The stereo/turntable, I can rattle the windows. :laughing7:

OP
OP
T

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lol that's sounds like a good time! I didn't get any speakers with this one. They're kind of hard to find around my area. I'm looking forward to testing it tomorro

OP
OP
T

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are some good vintage speaker brands I can look for when I'm out at sales?

Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are some good vintage speaker brands I can look for when I'm out at sales?

The ones I look for are Bose, Pioneer, Kenwood a couple of other but can not think of names. and of course they have to be in good condition. A lot of speaker that are sold are blown or have holes in the speakers so be sure to take off the front and look at close. Stay away from Radio Shack and other low quality speaker.
If you feel really lucky and have the money even for used ones. Keep these in mind. http://topyaps.com/top-10-speaker-manufacturing-companies

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Add Yamaha, Infinity and Klipsch to the list of great vintage speakers.

OP
OP
T

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right thanks for the info! I tested the units today. The right channel on the amp has no output and the tape deck won't rewind or fast forward [emoji20]. The turntable and tuner work great though and the tape deck does sound nice while playing tapes.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!
I found these years ago at a garage sale. Great speakers!

DSCN8707.JPG

DSCN8710.JPG

somafix

Sep 2, 2016
Missouri
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm looking for a set of KLH Model 20 (Twenty) Plus speakers and stands. Anyone know where I can find these to purchase??
Thanks! P

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I still have my receiver and a dual cassette deck (Sony) from the '80's, as well as a pair of nice hardwood speakers - probably about 28"-30" tall. Everything is mint. Been boxed up for nearly 20 years, and never been cranked up! Never did have a turntable, though. Oh, nice thing is, both cassette decks record, and both can dub high speed. Were good components in their day!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!
I found these years ago at a garage sale. Great speakers!

View attachment 1301505

View attachment 1301506

I found Paradigm Cinema series sub and center at a sale with the stereo. The lady told me $75 bucks and I couldn't get the money out fast enough!:laughing7:
I traded the sub, for a jbl sub, and A Yamaha receiver to a friend that had all Paradigm but his sub. The center I took apart and made two fronts and my own crossover with the drivers. :laughing7: You guys would die laughing if you saw the mess I had at my old house. I had four 12's in the living room with a 1700watt amp. Wires and my own home built crossovers. Nothing like crisp hard speakers!! I had a mess of crap! But 1812 overture? You could feel the cannons!:laughing7: I'll bet my neighbors are glad we moved!

Great find!! There is stuff out there still! And the old receivers can be fixed!! I've done it just trying to learn!!

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't have a problem finding home stereo gear, but finding decent vintage auto stereos is like pulling eye teeth....THROUGH THE EARS!!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have a problem finding home stereo gear, but finding decent vintage auto stereos is like pulling eye teeth....THROUGH THE EARS!!

You know how many of those I tore apart as a kid, to see what was in there! I wish I had them now. :BangHead:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All right thanks for the info! I tested the units today. The right channel on the amp has no output and the tape deck won't rewind or fast forward [emoji20]. The turntable and tuner work great though and the tape deck does sound nice while playing tapes.
Got that exact same tape deck x 2! One has the same problem, the other won't turn at all. The one just has a broken belt. the one that won't do anything looks like all the belts melted. I was told that was more than likely caused by someone slopping head cleaner everywhere. Hooked the first one up to a no-name tube amp. Shook the windows, scared the kibble outta the cat and that was 1/4 volume. Turned it up to half & thought it was dust falling on me. Turned out I blew the cones outta the speakers. Now you got me thinking I need to find some belts.

BTW, I think you got a way better deal than you thought!!

OP
OP
T

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone. I ended up selling it on eBay along with an Akai 8-track player I had bought at a previous sale. The 8-track player wouldn't play but I think it simply needed new belts. Everything sold except for the tape deck. The buyer of the amp contacted me after she received it and said she got it to work by replacing a fuse... I should have checked that.

I simply didn't have a place for the stereo. I made some money and they went to good homes where they can be enjoyed. Sometimes I wish I would have kept it. It would have sounded so good with a nice pair of speakers!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Ya'll here are taking me back to those days when I blew my eardrums out in the late 60's with Hendrix on, and there were so many good bands back then. I've a whole box full of LP's, and they haven't been out of that box since about 1991 when I was living to the East of Cleveland working for Cleveland Electric for 6 years. In '79 I'd won an antique pool table in a tournament, built September 3, 1918 in Saginaw, Mi. Years and years it had been stored. Then in my 6 years there I bought a "deficient" home for $60k. The house had a BOMB SHELTER attached to the basement, built of concrete, two rooms and a steel door!

So, you're darned right I bought that house and worked on it those 6 years.

That nice large open basement. Up went that pool table, and in went my stereo system :) And we shot some pool in that basement with the stereo going non-stop.

What do I have now? I'm not heavy on equipment because I don't need to be. My hearing is so blown now, but I can still listen to every song I ever wanted, it's on Youtube!

And it's right there for you too!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
DS, I hope you know the kinds of thoughts you put in people's heads with posts like that! You really oughtta be ashamed of yourself. Here I am, minding my own business and reading posts....them BOOM!, I'm picturing this somewhat elderly man jammin' to Beavis and Butthead videos!! :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread