Oiling an antique fan, tips and warnings?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have an old Emerson fan and it's starting to squeal really bad. I thought I was going to have to take it apart and being young and naïve I realized it's an oil fan. OK I know. Should've been obvious but Umm. Oops!

Anyways I'm going to watch a YouTube video on it but from anyone in the past who has done this, do you have any advice I should take before taking it apart? Or oiling Other than unplugging the fan. I got that one!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461284942.229276.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461284979.658505.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1461284999.858237.jpg

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stupid. Took more time to clean up the oil than it did to figure out how to put it in there. Sorry dumb post. It works great! I was going to have tears if I had to get rid of it.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol. I have no problem taking things apart. The problem comes when I try to put them back together. If I could figure that part out, I'd have it made!

S

stefen

Try using 3-In-1 oil that was developed for fine household machinery of that era, ie. sewing machines and the like.

Want to keep you're tips...keep your fingers out of the fan...yeah, yeah...you only wanted to see which direction the fan blade is turning...

If the fan is still not assembled, you could replace the shaft bearings...

Last tip...you can't repair stupid...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread