tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked these up yesterday at an antique store. The emblems marked BTL and are for Bell Telephone Labs. I'm 95% certain the center emblems are maybe around 2 grams each of 10K gold, based on this ebay listing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Muy-raro-de...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 I'm unsure as to what I may do with these? I could take them to the gold buyer for a free test, so I can tell in a ebay listing I did that and can guarantee they are gold, but with that I will not have the actual weight of each piece, plus I'll bet they're marked on the back of the emblems??. Last thing I found like this was a belt buckle that had a 14K emblem super glued dang near to the center of the buckle. That I stripped off the buckle for the scarp value. See here what I'm talking about at this previous post of mine, http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/thrift-stores/482020-thrift-store-gold.html The point of this is sometimes people miss items of gold by these little award give outs companies did in the past. These tie clips are for years of service I think being the one with the green stone has 6 stars and the red stone has 5 stars for each year of service. The way these emblems are attached are with 2 little post and I may be able to get them off and weigh them take a pic and push them back on so I could sell them as a vintage Bell Tele collectibles, as I think that way they'd sell higher then the gold scrap value maybe? Either way it's gold got cheap if my hunch is correct ??. The tie bar clips are just GF and can also be sold as GF scrap on ebay, as I've done that with little piles that accumulate from GF watch cases, old eye gasses frames, jewelry found in bag lots, etc.

Attachments

• BTL tie clips.jpg
    BTL tie clips.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They won't be marked on the back, just a rough finish, similar to cast iron. It helps the silver solder adhere. I picked up 2 similar items years ago at an antique store. They were charms from some mid-US based company conference with 3 stones set in a mini USA outline. The backplate of the charm was 1/10k GF but once i popped off the stone setting, they tested to be 14k, approx 1.5 grams each. I went back to the store and bought the whole box of them for 75.00 It was over 250 pieces:laughing7:

FYI, ive purchased others since and have tested the setting only to find brass/plated base metal. The quality of the award depended on the company that originally purchased them and how much they wanted to spend!

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once I picked up a Lions club hat that had 8 pins of 10k gold on it. It was in an antique store and it didn't have a price. Once I inspected the pins, I held it up and asked the shop owner how much? He just said how about 12 bucks? I asked how's $10. and he said sure.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Around 4 grams of 10K for under 6 bucks "I Think"

A lot of them are marks on the back though when you pop them off. And a lot of them are also marked 1/20 10 K or 1/10.
But there is a lot of them that are gold also. In my experience a lot of them have been marked on the back. But testing it with acid is probably the best way to go without pulling them off.

Last edited:
OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of them are marks on the back though when you pop them off. And a lot of them are also marked 1/20 10 K or 1/10.
But there is a lot of them that are gold also. In my experience a lot of them have been marked on the back. But testing it with acid is probably the best way to go without pulling them off.
That's what I'll do. I believe they'd sell higher then if I took them off for scrap and even if the little bells are 1/20 10K, I feel they would sell for more then I gave for them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread