Amazing! Hand Embroidered WW2 Peacoat + Leather postcards

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys last day of this estate sale and they had this coat marked for $200, I tried it on and it fit me quite nicely. I got it for $75! It's a ww2 navy trench coat, with a hand embroidered dragon from Shanghai, China dated 1945. It was missing a button but miraculously it was still in the pocket! The inside of the sleeves have torn from the stitching but thankfully I have an amazing tailor nearby who should be able to fix it up. I'm planning on wearing this out sometime when it gets colder. The only thing I see missing is the collar attachment that would button across the collar, couldn't find it anywhere in the house, maybe I can find a replacement somewhere (kind of irritated I couldn't find it lol)! Extremely heavy 100% wool.
20160501_183148_resized.jpg 20160501_183924_resized.jpg 20160501_183957_resized.jpg
Plus got these fun postcards dated 1907
20160501_183523_resized.jpg 20160501_183529_resized.jpg 20160501_183534_resized.jpg 20160501_183541_resized.jpg 20160501_184037_resized.jpg 20160501_184112_resized.jpg

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ask who was W.E.Stubbs?
That looks like standard issue peacoat. Looks pretty new.
I was in the Navy in the early 70's and when we went to Hong Kong there were a lot of tailor shops that would do this type of work.
Shanghai is a port town and the Navy probably stopped there but in 1945? There was still a raging battle going on most of that year.

All Navy issue clothes have some sort of label. Anything stamped inside the coat?
Those are really warm, good find. I wonder what happened to mine.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you ask who was W.E.Stubbs?
That looks like standard issue peacoat. Looks pretty new.
I was in the Navy in the early 70's and when we went to Hong Kong there were a lot of tailor shops that would do this type of work.
Shanghai is a port town and the Navy probably stopped there but in 1945? There was still a raging battle going on most of that year.

All Navy issue clothes have some sort of label. Anything stamped inside the coat?
Those are really warm, good find. I wonder what happened to mine.
No idea on W.E. Stubbs, I've been looking and nothing. I posted this coat on some peacoat forum and there was a guy there who knew all about peacoats and from many pictures I took he said definitely looks WW2. I'm getting it fixed up but have been contemplating how I'd go about cleaning it. I could take it to the dry cleaners but I'm worried because I feel the silk embroidery would get messed up in the tumble machine and if i hand wash the coat with cold water it might shrink or something... Complicated stuff, advice?]

Edit: after digging deep into archives found this... Maybe? http://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque.aspx?honoreeID=2071357

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea on W.E. Stubbs, I've been looking and nothing. I posted this coat on some peacoat forum and there was a guy there who knew all about peacoats and from many pictures I took he said definitely looks WW2. I'm getting it fixed up but have been contemplating how I'd go about cleaning it. I could take it to the dry cleaners but I'm worried because I feel the silk embroidery would get messed up in the tumble machine and if i hand wash the coat with cold water it might shrink or something... Complicated stuff, advice?]

Edit: after digging deep into archives found this... Maybe? http://www.wwiimemorial.com/Registry/plaque.aspx?honoreeID=2071357

Never wash wool! Have it dry cleaned by a professional. Really cool.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would only clean what can be done by hand. When listing if you do state it needs cleaned and let them take the chance or they will know how to clean it.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember having to dry clean my coat.

I tracked down Mr Stubbs.
his address is 99999 Netterville Rd, Denham Springs, LA
and phone number is: (225) 999-9999

died Jan 2007
here is his obit: William E Stubbs (1922 - 2007) - Find A Grave Memorial

he has 9 grandchildren and 10 great-grandchildren.
maybe one of them would be interested in purchasing
or when you bought it you may have bought from one of them.

I change the address and phone numbers because his wife Virginia may still be living there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions