Zippo find and repair.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if it's worth very much but thanks to you all on TNET I was able to send it into zippo and have it serviced for free. I would've never known and sold it as a simple lighter not working. They sent some complementary flints. And a catalog for this year as well. The book is pretty interesting though as it has a lot markings for identification. So here is the lighter itself. USS Boston.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462844469.528016.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462844498.228790.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1462844520.961464.jpg

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice, it's great to see a company stand 100% behind their products. here are a few companies that I have dealt with that also back a product from cradle to grave: Tesoro metal detectors, Howard and Miller grandfather clocks and Definitive Technology speakers.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, but I've got a Howard Miller Curio Clock I need to sell, but they're not easy to find buyers for right now.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice, it's great to see a company stand 100% behind their products. here are a few companies that I have dealt with that also back a product from cradle to grave: Tesoro metal detectors, Howard and Miller grandfather clocks and Definitive Technology speakers.

Buck knives, kryptonite locks, anything made by LL Bean, and jansport backpacks are the same. Refreshing!

Last edited:

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool Zippo. It most likely was given to or bought by one of the Navy crewmen. My brother sent 2 of them to our Dad, from the ships he was on.
I have a ladies silver zippo with my name and scroll work on it from around 1980. I should send it to Zippo too.
Does the catalog explain about the "dash marks" on the bottom?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes it does. I haven't taken the time to figure out what it means. But if you add a picture maybe I'll be able to figure it out. I'm getting over the flu so my time is spent more in bed then anything else.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hope you get well soon. I'll have to dig out my old lighter, not sure where it is.
Years ago someone told me the marks were like a grading system. The more marks the
more expensive the lighter...? IDK

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clipboard01.jpg

Hope you get well soon. I'll have to dig out my old lighter, not sure where it is.
Years ago someone told me the marks were like a grading system. The more marks the
more expensive the lighter...? IDK

The marks are date codes.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's the chart published by Zippo:

4694894.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't see any marks from the picture. What year is it?

If you look close you can see a dot left of Zippo. That would make it a 1965. It's harder to see sometimes on a slim line.

Oops, actually a dot on both sides, so 1964. One to the left and one right below the ®

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you look close you can see a dot left of Zippo. That would make it a 1965. It's harder to see sometimes on a slim line.

Oops, actually a dot on both sides, so 1964. One to the left and one right below the [emoji768]

I completely overlooked those dots until you mentioned them. I was looking at the chart going none of these are on the zippo. Thanks!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice piece of memorabilia to a ship that served in the Pacific during WWII and three tours to Vietnam! It is a shame she was decommissioned in 1970 and sold for scrap in 1975!

Frank

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found mine. It's from 1976. Nice little Ladies lighter

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talked to the guy who bought it and he said that he is in the process of opening up a Vietnam Memorial Museum. Somewhere out in California. This was going to be in there display. That's pretty awesome I think!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions