billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's late and I don't have a picture to post until Saturday afternoon, but I need some advice about a 925 long and wide oval tray/platter I found today....

On the back side it has the number "925" by itself, an imprint within a carthouse inset is stamped the word "Peru", another carthouse with a Lama animal stamped inside it, and finally the word "Welsch" openly stamped a bit farther to the right. The handles appear to be part of the tray/platter and along with a 1/2" wide by 3/16" thick border the blend into the same size border raised trim.

Question: Is the overlay another metal? It is shiny as the rest of the tray/platter that measures 16" wide by 26" long. Overall, it a heavy piece of Sterling, but should one count the overlay or try and discount the tray weight....

I don't have large enough PM scales, so I weighed on scales like one finds in the produce department of a grocery store.... They are fairly accurate in 1/8 lb. graduations. The tray/platter weighs 5.5 lbs of 16oz/lb. weight. I paid $25....:tongue3: How much of the 5.5 lbs can one expect if the wide overlay trim isn't sterling?

At the same sale, I found a Sterling tumbler with "Sterling" stamped, then an emblem of a "Tree" above the Sterling word on the bottom of the tumbler. See Ebay link below:
Engraved on it are the words:
" 1959----1960" on the first line,
"Sportsman Polo Association" on the second line.
It weighs 139.5 grams
Paid $5.

Sterling Silver Vintage Benjamin Trees Mint Julep Cup Famed Kentucy Silversmith | eBay

Always appreciate your help,
Bill

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Given the little bit of reading I did about Welsch & Co which is a German firm based in Lima I believe. I would say the tray is 100% sterling. Congrats on 2 great silver finds. I haven't found any at all this year other than an Alvin Silver perfume decanter.
More on Welsch & Company-

WELSCH & Co.
Peru

Perhaps the most difficult problem which our firms will encounter in this market is the sale and distribution of merchandise. Welsch & Co., a wealthy German firm, have a predominant position in the Peruvian jewelry trade, and the number of other firms devoted to this line that are worthy of any amount of credit is very limited. Most or all of them are retail firms located in Lima or Arequipa. As it is hardly likely that Welsch & Co. will give preference to American goods and as there are no other wholesale jewelers in Peru, no existing means are apparent for distributing our goods throughout the country. The parent corporation of Welsch & Co. is Ehni & Co., of Stuttgart, Germany. They maintain the finest equipped jewelry store and several smaller ones in Lima, two stores in Arequipa, and several in other cities. In towns too small to support a store they have agents or send salesmen with stock to cover the trade periodically. For example, they sell jewelry at the mines on pay day and in general cover the whole market thoroughly. Of the other most important retail jewelers five are of Italian origin, three German, one Spanish, and one Chilean.

Source: Jewelry and Silverware in Chile, Bolivia, and Peru - United States. Dept. of Commerce, Samuel W. Rosenthal - 1919

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are the Pics

Thanks for the support, guys!!

Although these two things were found on "Friday The 13th", the next day, "Saturday the 14th", turned out to be a bigger silver surprise!

Here's Friday's 92.5 "Welsch and Peru" stamped tray, and the Mint Julep Cup Sterling Silver by silversmith, Benjamin Trees.

Attachments

• garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 001.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 001.JPG
    480.7 KB · Views: 88
  • garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 003.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 003.JPG
    491.7 KB · Views: 83
  • garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 004.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 004.JPG
    502.8 KB · Views: 89
  • garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 008.JPG
    garage sale May finds for Friday the 13th and 14th, 008.JPG
    519.9 KB · Views: 74

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!!! Lucky you! Although I know it's a lot of Hardwork too.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great picks... Well done.

Count every ounce as sterling.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will point out...
This tray may be worth WELL beyond a "scrap" value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread