Found $$

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the store after the yard sale. $100. What would you do with it? I know the whole karma thing. Currently it's in my wallet. Left my name and phone number with the manager saying if anyone lost some $$ to call. But i said it was in the parking lot. So I'll know if that's a false claim if someone calls?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463269790.663326.jpg

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Nice Find; Smart way to handle it. Remember that if it is not claimed in 30 days it is all yours. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say you did right. I found a $100 at Kroger as a kid and after no one claimed it I was one happy kid!

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH Man Thanks for finding the money I lost in the store after the yard sale!! Uh...can you just send it to me...?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well if someone Calls, I'd say Sorry it was all ready Claimed !

I wouldn't be a Lie, Because I would have already Claimed it.
it's Finders Keepers, unless I have reason to believe I know the looser personally.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would give it to my neighbors, they work hard but never get anywhere.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
well if someone Calls, I'd say Sorry it was all ready Claimed !

I wouldn't be a Lie, Because I would have already Claimed it.
it's Finders Keepers, ...

I'll try to remember never to "lose" anything if I'm ever in your neck of the woods. :laughing9:

Seriously, $100 is a pretty big bill for many people. For "us" we would be devastated over losing $100 (I wish I was exaggerating). If someone were to call and say the correct amount (you didn't tell them, correct?), I'd be happy to return it. The trick is to be as vague as possible when reporting the found money in the first place. Besides not divulging the value of the money, I also wouldn't have said whether the money was found inside or outside. Most likely, the person who lost it wouldn't know "where", either, but it would help to deter anyone else from contacting you falsely.

My guess is if nobody has claimed it by mid-week, that nobody will. I know I have a difficult time remembering where all I've been recently, and we don't go to town very often.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll try to remember never to "lose" anything if I'm ever in your neck of the woods. :laughing9:

just make sure your name is on it :laughing7:

or you have the serial #

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough one. I'd like to think I would do the right thing. Just don't put $100 bill in my hand lol.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far there's been no phone call. I can't believe a whole bunch people walked right by it. Of course now days with everyone staring at their phones I'm surprised there's not more money on the floor.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's fake!! [emoji12]. Lmao! You did your good deed by giving a phone #. I'd give it a week at most. If someone doesn't claim it by then, it's dinner out with the wife! Or more yard sale $. I always look down and scan while I'm walking. I taught my daughter the same and she's always finding things.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Last year I found $550 in a satchel outside a large discount store. It was very identifiable the way it was situated in the satchel. Problem was, there was no way to find owner. I'm, paranoid so I quickly tell my brother of the find and then go in the store and tell the manager. I gave him all my info, but I told him I would hold the money till contacted. No body ever did. Best cash find I ever made. Btw, no ethical issue for me. I'm LEO, and I tend to trust myself a bit more than random folks at a store with no accountability over the found funds.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
That was the proper way of handling it. Is also "proper" to turn money in to the management....provided you believe them to be trustworthy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread