40 Pounds of Keys

AlabamaClay

Dec 27, 2004
I went to a barn/workshop estate sale Saturday and bought a 40 pound bag of keys and locks - mostly keys. Paid $25. I didn't take time to look through them before I bought it because as you probably know, you need to keep moving at the start of a sale to get to some of the good stuff before it's gone. Here's a couple of pics. I sorted through and the second picture is of the more interesting stuff. I should be able to cover my costs with the blank GM keys and the L&N lock. I'm not sure how to market the rest. Any ideas? Oh, and the Ike dollar is not silver :( but hey, it's still a dollar.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    690.1 KB · Views: 178
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    788.5 KB · Views: 205

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Nice grab. I think you should do well with that. If it was me, that Ike dollar would be in my pocket and my ledger would read, 40 lbs of keys - $24 invested. But then I am a cheap S.O.B. LOL

T.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Look for any toy windup keys, cabinet keys for phonograph cabinets, advertising key chain or fobs. Do some investigation on sold listings and hopefully you have some winners.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definite winner lock I see.

Nice pick.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have done the same. Anytime there is a bag full of stuff at a good price I will buy it. Unless it is something you can tell is just common items. Have fun researching.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I ever gathered up all the keys in different places around here,
I might have a paint can bucket full. :laughing7: The Mr. has master keys for every type piece of heavy equipment, ever made.
I think the skeleton keys are cool, too. Good to list with key or tag word "steampunk", but that craze may have passed already, too. Being a dinosaur, I can't be certain, lol. :dontknow:

I'll share this store link, (I'd share a pic, but would want permission before taking liberties or copying his pics) this guy does some awesome art work, using old keys. I so appreciate hand craftsmanship. :notworthy:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Moerkey?ref=listing-shop2-all-items-count#items

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll probably make a killing on those. I put like 20 of them together and do an auction starting at $9.99 with 3 dollars shipping. 40 pounds it's gonna take you a while to go through them but I'll tell you what you'll make a lot of money off them things at the end. We're just check some completed listings try to get an idea. Maybe a larger lot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread