Setting up at fleamarket/events?

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
my story of making it fun is I offer to play rock paper scissors for an additional X amount off. I use it as a means of closing difficult sales. Keeps the sale fun and light hearted. One weekend I lost every single time, 11 in a row. Don't know the statistics on it but it was funny. However, I look at it as I made 11 sales I wouldn't have otherwise made. What was really funny is that out of over 400 booths, people would come up to me and say they had heard of me all over as the rock paper scissors guy. talk about some low cost advertising. Other vendors would come hang out just cause they could see we were having a lot of fun over at my booth.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eerrrr, Aghhhh, Ughh, the idea is to make a PROFIT, not to just lighten the load.:laughing7:
Marvin

Reality is a biatch. :P

Flea markets are 1/10th of what they "used to be".
IF you do "major markets"... on Holidays and such then the turnouts are comparable to the old days with the crowds of RETAIL type buyers...
Then you will do ok.
OR... You have a ton of stuff that is cheap.
OR... You have a great selection of GREAT antiques... even if really good antiques... that you are selling for much less than the value...
THEN... You will do well...
BUT... This is all relative.
If you pay solid prices for things... expect to not make much "profit" at a flea market.

With all of this... I will say... and maybe I am just hopeful... markets are beginning to "come back around".
The statistic I have heard is that over the past years flea markets in general have declined... but maybe this era is turning.
At least in Florida.

Beings I have shopped and vended at markets for the past 25 years... I have just a bit of knowledge on them here.
Flea markets are way better to buy at than to sell at.
Wanna dump stuff ? Clean out the garage ? Sell the stuff that does not sell online ?
Go to the market.

People go to flea markets to "score".
They expect to get a serious deal.
UNLESS... They need or really want it.

Don't get me wrong... you selling the right thing... you will make money at a market.
But keep in mind...
If it was that easy... everyone would be doing it.

Last edited:

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Money it made buying not selling. If you can buy cheap enough to sell low and still make a profit then you're good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AARC, You are dead on-------------I was just having fun with your post. Here, where I live 9 out of 10 sellers have mostly all new Made in you know where stuff. I never have new unless I buy it at a yard sale still packaged for a song. I like to go through the flea market sellers before I even unpack and find a few bargains. I look for tools and silver.
Flea Markets sure aren't what they were 30-40 years ago. My first time selling was at a drive in theater in 1972 I think. Did really good back then.
Marvin

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rain sucks. Been buying for 3 weeks straight... Rain every weekend for the last three weeks equals no sales..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was supposed to set up at another estate sale today however the guy came down with the flu and canceled. Last minute too like right before I pulled into their driveway canceled. That was a disappointment. I took my case back home and hit yard sales all day long. So it wasn't a total bust however I would've taken more money with me had I known I was going yard sailing.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yard sailing - that is one way to put it. Since we sail thru the sell to get to the next one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread