Setting up at fleamarket/events?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you, which I'm sure there are... regularly set up at a flea market or some other event where you sell things? I'm wondering is it a good amount of sales weekly? I always said I never want to become a flea market vendor however after this weekend of selling jewelry at an estate sale, 4 hours a day and selling $1400 kind of makes me change my mind a bit. I know the location and the season depends on everything. But I would like to hear from some folks who set up regularly and how the return is? Is it better to have jewelry which is all I had? Or better to have a whole mix of stuff?

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did it for a few months a long time ago, and I have 2 friends that each have booths in Indoor Flea Markets that have been successful for almost 2 years.
Location is important. And what you sell. I sold office furniture. That did not do well.
My friends sell lots of different things and do ok.
I would think jewelry would be a big hit. JMO

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set up at one once in a blue moon up here in the NE. It's hit or miss sometimes. Depends on the crowd and if they have extra $$ to spend.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brother in law did it for a while. One thing about flee markets, people are there to find a good deal. Flee markets around here most of the stuff is marked to high and the vendor will not budge on the price. He sold mixed items mostly glassware which was not to successful. He did good on other stuff. But he was willing to go down and give the customer a good deal. One thing I have learned is that before the market opens the vendors themselves do a little shopping. Johnny had good deal on a pocket knife, Sally bought it now it will cost more because Sally knew the value of the pocket knife. But there is money to be made after buying the stuff to sell, pay for the vendors area, rent tables if needed. etc.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The market itself will be the most important aspect. Try to set up at the most upscale market you can find. Avoid the low end ones at all costs. Obviously the nicer ones charge more for space rentals but there is a reason why the other ones are cheap.

Weather affects business in a major way.

Also, try setting up at special event type shows. They do all the advertising. You just show up and sell.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do any of you, which I'm sure there are... regularly set up at a flea market or some other event where you sell things? I'm wondering is it a good amount of sales weekly? I always said I never want to become a flea market vendor however after this weekend of selling jewelry at an estate sale, 4 hours a day and selling $1400 kind of makes me change my mind a bit. I know the location and the season depends on everything. But I would like to hear from some folks who set up regularly and how the return is? Is it better to have jewelry which is all I had? Or better to have a whole mix of stuff?

Beachkid,

Take a look through threads down in the "Precious Metals" forum. There's a fellow, Jim4silver I believe, that went through setting up for some Shopping Mall events. Preparation, amount of change to carry, and dealing with buyers might give you some good insight.

Good Luck with your adventure,
Bill

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
We(lady friend and I) had an antique store, got bored, let her mom and a friend run it on weekends and we set up shop at the Pulga(spanish for flea) for a couple of years. We have a few very big ones here and so we picked our favorite, rented a covered space and started having fun. Never knew what to expect. We had antiques, junk, jewelry signs, you name it, we sold it. There was something for everyone. Very flexible on prices. Went to estate sales and bought whatever was cheap and I gave away some of the really cheap stuff, Made folks happy. Had a great time, met lots of dealers and made lots of money. Cleaned out my garage, my attic and sold everything over time. People would surprise you. Had a fake stream of running water for decoration. Concrete filled with calcite and quartz rocks and an aquarium pump to keep the water flowing. Maybe $30 total. Woman came by from Oklahoma, going home and just had to have it. Offered $500 for it. There were many days like that. Had old cavalry saddles from the 1800's that we had bartered for and sold those at $150-$200 each. Some were just frames. Fake jewelry to the kids, real stuff to the parents. Couldn't keep Coke signs in stock. Books, records, well just anything. Quit when I went back to teaching and I still miss it...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
We(lady friend and I) had an antique store, got bored, let her mom and a friend run it on weekends and we set up shop at the Pulga(spanish for flea) for a couple of years. We have a few very big ones here and so we picked our favorite, rented a covered space and started having fun. Never knew what to expect. We had antiques, junk, jewelry signs, you name it, we sold it. There was something for everyone. Very flexible on prices. Went to estate sales and bought whatever was cheap and I gave away some of the really cheap stuff, Made folks happy. Had a great time, met lots of dealers and made lots of money. Cleaned out my garage, my attic and sold everything over time. People would surprise you. Had a fake stream of running water for decoration. Concrete filled with calcite and quartz rocks and an aquarium pump to keep the water flowing. Maybe $30 total. Woman came by from Oklahoma, going home and just had to have it. Offered $500 for it. There were many days like that. Had old cavalry saddles from the 1800's that we had bartered for and sold those at $150-$200 each. Some were just frames. Fake jewelry to the kids, real stuff to the parents. Couldn't keep Coke signs in stock. Books, records, well just anything. Quit when I went back to teaching and I still miss it...

Awesome! Sounds like you had a good things going. Doing it for the right reasons.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wait until I have a bunch of stuff to sell-----------maybe 3 times a year.
I find that a variety of items helps attract more people, for instance if you have a few tools plus jewelry the Husband and wife may both stop.
Now to strategy----------let the guy have a tool that you don't have much invested in at a break even or slight profit.
Then ask him what he is going to buy this lovely Lady. Bingo, now you get to sell that ring you found for $30.00 and they both are happy.
Marvin
PS, Thieves abound at flea markets so keep valuables in a showcase and only show 1 or 2 pieces at a time.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
I sell at a local outdoor flea market on occasional weekends. Converted an old tent trailer into a sales booth. Get many compliments on it. I get to flirt with the ladies, hear amazing stories, trade information, hang with fellow Sellers and customers who have become friends. I sell everything from junk to amazing jewelry and collectibles. I am not a big dealer like some and the flea markets I go to are smaller, less stealing there. On average I make about $.50 to $1 per customer who comes through. Large sites, tend to be lower in total sales, smaller sites, I seem to make more. My two cents.

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I set up almost every weekend... If I can keep stock fresh I do 350-450 a day. Two different markets about 3 hours apart... I do see some of the same people walking through at both. Be flexible and carry a huge wad of change... I start with 75-100 ones every week. I bought a van this year to do it out of instead of cramming everything in my mustang... Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for the replies. I'm not sure as soon as I make this thread I get an offer for something else completely different. From a source that I would've never expected. So I'm going to check that out next weekend... I think it may turn into having to sell some stuff in there at the flea market or find an antique booth somewhere. I think at one point I'm going to have a lot of inventory and have to move it. I just checked the classifieds on here too it looks like stuff moved pretty well. So I will keep that in mind as well. Thank you for the advice and I will check back here in a little bit.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
The market itself will be the most important aspect. Try to set up at the most upscale market you can find. Avoid the low end ones at all costs. Obviously the nicer ones charge more for space rentals but there is a reason why the other ones are cheap.

Also, try setting up at special event type shows. They do all the advertising. You just show up and sell.

You have the right idea. There was a high dollar upscale one here, but it went out of business. This is an incredibly poor area and it's tough to make money anywhere. But again, you have it nailed. Good luck...

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Seems like your venture into setting up & selling at an estate sale worked. Why not duplicate that? A flea market or antique mall situation is entirely different from what you were successful at.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

All good advice. I would also add since you are in S. Fl., that there are antique and collectible shows all over, both locally and statewide. As Ben mentioned, some have special annual or monthly events. Places like Mt. Dora and the Arcadia antique fair have special events that would be advantageous to set up at and make a small vacation of, even though I know you have a few kids, summer is coming.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A go getter around here will rent space or do a yard sale near the big events in the city. She always does very well. I seem to do well on the busy weekends at my antique store. I think the more people the better. I like 007 comment. I hope you do well. It is fun interacting with the people. Have fun. People always want a bargain or a deal! I like diggumup comment also, I might have to plan a small vacation like that:)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
As several people have mentioned, having fun and not taking things too seriously is the key to being both successful and enjoying the experience overall.

Nearly everyone who shops at these markets does so to get a deal. Remember that and be flexible, to echo the comments above.

I have been known to lose money on items I sell at markets. This seems stupid... but is it? Cash flow is important as well as space/storage management. If you can move a large item and free up some cash, this can help you keep inventory fresh and keep money in your pocket. This can be worth breaking even or even losing some money now and then. Think a few steps ahead, think smart, and enjoy it!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell things as cheap as you would buy them at a yard sale and you might get rid of HALF of what you bring. heh

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I set up once a year; my wife normally goes through the house and finds stuff she does not want anymore through out the year and boxes it up for me in one of the basement rooms. Then here in Germany we have a thing where folks throw out their stuff once a year they do not want and when I see stuff there I grab it normally to sell.

At the end of the year I fill up a 30 foot triple axle trailer, spend 60 Euro for a spot at the flea market and dump everything very cheap. I have stuff from clothing, shoes, furniture, MD finds. I am not there to make lots of money though, just flip perfectly good stuff for cheap to someone who can use it. I have never made more than 1000 bucks, but I have always come home with an empty trailer too. I sell it so cheap that if someone tries to ask if I will sell them a 50 cent pair of boots cheaper that someone comes and buys them out from under them.

Last year I had a full time vendor recognize me and make me an offer on my entire trailer. I told him I wanted asking price and nothing less, the fat man was not happy on that but I did not care as I was going to sell it all regardless. Last year was a good sale though; at work we have a reuse center that dumps out all HAZMAT that is within one year of expiring. Out of all the years I have worked here at Interpol it was the first year I made it there. I signed for 20 cases of WD40, each case had 24 cans. I sold it for 10 cents a can. Folks where buying that stuff who did not need it. LOL

Flea market is a good way to make sure good stuff ends up in houses for cheap. I would not want to live from it though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread