Guadalcanal Painting by WWII Nose Art Artist & More

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a couple of cool finds today that may require more research to put a dollar value on. The first was this framed painting by an artist named Hal Olsen. He is the last living American nose artist who painted during World War II. Nose art is a decorative painting or design on the fuselage of an aircraft, usually chalked up on the front fuselage. Olsen was famous for his pinup girl nose art. This piece is unfortunately not a pinup girl, but it does show Marines on the beach at Guadalcanal, which holds a special place in my heart as I served in the USMC. The frame is busted up, but the painting is behind the glass along with a First Marine Division patch and a red white and blue ribbon.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463886745.000043.jpg
My second find was a vintage gospel record by a group called The Jackson Gospalites, on the Jimbo Records label out of Salt Lake City. I searched and searched online, but I can't find one mention of this record outside of a brief caption on a 2008 blog that shows the cover art and simply reads "another local band". I assume that means rare, but I also know that rare doesn't always mean valuable.
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1463887013.399336.jpg
Happy hunting all!

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
On your painting, there's a fellow here "Don Jose", who would have enormous input on this item. I do believe he's the only Guadalcanal veteran on here (and perhaps most everywhere else in this world). Maybe you've come to the right place at the right time. I'll make sure he sees this post, I hope!

You just can't understand or believe the history involved here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread