diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to only 1 sale today. The estate of a Korean War Vet that passed away a couple years ago. He was an aviation mechanic and a member of the First Marine Aircraft Wing. Following the service, he went to work as a mechanic for Delta Airlines in 1953 and retired following 38 years of service in 1991. I spent $100 and bought a variety of items. It sounds like a lot but there is plenty of meat left on the bone with this lot.

The Northeast Airlines mechanic's jacket was $25, rare item. Other Northeast items were a patch, the yellowbird luggage label, 3 sealed decks of cards, 4 aluminum ashtrays and a toy DC-8. Items were in a box of Delta items that I sorted through. The embossed leather wallet was full of old business cards from various hotels while he was in stationed in Japan, as well as some of his service cards and some risque/humor type cards. It is well used but I think it was an unusual find, not something you see every day, I love the dragon on the back of it. The cigar box of "junk" was full of all kinds of neat little things including his service ring, a sweetheart bracelet and a nameplate for a bracelet, all sterling. There were a couple small pocket knives, a nude viewer key chain, a pair of encased lucite seahorse cuff links, vintage pinbacks and a couple porcelain pins, several lighters including an pre-1950 Zippo and other assorted goodies.

Not pictured- The wife bought some vintage picture frames, a purse and a few other odds and ends. I also bought an old photo album full of photos and a few postcards, several pieces of airline and hotel flatware, a Shawnee smilie pig creamer pitcher and small salt & peppers, a set of 8 Japanese painted drinking glasses. Here are the same glasses as the ones I just bought.- 8 Drink Glasses Asian Rickshaw Dancer Musicians Red Green Yellow Japan Chinese | eBay

Here's the photos-

DSC05613 (1008x1024).jpg DSC05614 (1024x1023).jpg DSC05620 (893x1024).jpg
DSC05632 (1024x526).jpg DSC05634 (1024x751).jpg DSC05630 (1024x771).jpg DSC05637 (1024x757).jpg DSC05631 (811x1024).jpg

DSC05628 (1024x753).jpg DSC05629 (1024x753).jpg DSC05638 (1024x768).jpg DSC05623 (758x1024).jpg DSC05625 (1024x407).jpg

Last edited:

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love scores like that! I find items regularly that I can flip and make a quick buck on, but in those cases I find myself just going through the motions of photographing and listing on eBay, all without the excitement that comes from a score like you made - unique items with stories to tell. Some of my favorite flips haven't been the most profitable, but rather items that forced me to use a combination of research and imagination to flush out the backstory. Like an old dopp kit with a handful of assorted business cards tucked inside behind the soap holder. The cards painted a picture in my mind of a businessman's travels from the early 1900s - the hotels in which he stayed, the restaurants, the entertainment. Those types of finds may not line the pockets with cash, but they are treasures nonetheless.

Last edited:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lots of history you found, Diggummup. I can hear your garage sale engine fired up and you're on a winning streak! Having a wife along makes for easy to understand the circumstances of how you found a treasure, and easy explaining about how you come home with all that stuff.... She's the navigator, banker, the extra set of eyes & hands, and early bird softy to get you into a sale when it's still dark

Keep going!

Bill

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First and most importantly, a big thank you to the vet who owned all of those great treasures. And a big thank you to all of the other service men and women past and present. Thank You!! [emoji631]. Great finds diggum!! Many times those items would just be thrown out. Now they're able to tell their stories to others and there are many collectors out there who love that stuff. Great job!! ☠

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread