What is this clock thing?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys usually I'm really good with watches and clocks but this has me stumped... Obviously its a Hamilton movement inside and the case says Princess Cruises. I just have no idea what it actually is, is it a clock that they sold as a souvenir? Or was it a clock in each room on the boat? It weighs 450 grams! Heavy as heck! Can't find anything online about it. Finally it doesn't work and I don't know how to exactly get it fixed as there is no entry to the movement of the watch, the only thing I can see is that the watch was place where it is and was glued down, so I'd have to somehow get the glue off etc. Paid $5 and I thought it looked cool so I bought it!
20160612_194900_resized.jpg 20160612_194931_resized.jpg 20160612_194939_resized.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd say a souvenir clock. Are you sure that the bezel doesn't screw off?

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
The Hamilton movement is press-fit - maybe glued as well, but usually they aren't glued, that I know of. Through a little research, clocks are not in stateroom suites onboard ships, So my guess is that it is a brass travel clock made for Princess Cruise Lines by Hamilton. However, I can't find an image of one, either.

Try using an old credit or bank card to try and pry the clock out of the brass enclosure.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ugh lol it's glued down for sure I can see it... There's a little glue missing on one side someone else tried getting it out as well. DANG! They didn't damage anything, no scratches, but I think it's doomed. I'll take it to a watch guy and see. Someone on the watch forum I was on said that this probably wasn't a souvenir because it'd be too expensive but instead it might have been a gift from the cruise company to a loyal customer? Interesting! I could see that happening, I really want to fix this up, its perfect cosmetically.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMO... this was sold in the "gift shop" of the cruise ship.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Souvenir desk clock paperweight. The glue was probably done by the purchaser as the watch faced tend to rotate.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone on the watch forum I was on said that this probably wasn't a souvenir because it'd be too expensive but instead it might have been a gift from the cruise company to a loyal customer?

Whoever said that hasn't been on a cruise. If they hold art auctions and sell expensive jewelry, I don't think a clock is out the question.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
*hehe* How can you tell?? The pics are so blurry - well, except for the cardboard box! :tongue3:
I know. Someone should tell that seller how to take photo's in lighted conditions. There terrible.

OP
OP
S

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay quick update! It was glued down but the watch guy pried it off and fixed it for $5 and it looks great! $10 on ebay? haha those pictures are terrible who would even post those? Guess I'll keep it at that price!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay quick update! It was glued down but the watch guy pried it off and fixed it for $5 and it looks great! $10 on ebay? haha those pictures are terrible who would even post those? Guess I'll keep it at that price!

Wow, somebody would have to be dumber than a box of rocks to glue something that takes a battery. I was going to suggest trying a bit of acetone (super glue remover) but didn't know how it would react to the finish.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread