Northern California, Bay Area, Silicon Valley Residents... Who wants a shopping buddy

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deja I would take you up on that but (to me) frisco is central CA. Right now I live in SoCA near Disneyland. I see you are in thousand oaks. my daughter just graduated from Moorpark college last year. (the zoo school)

But in three months I am moving to Northern CA. Less than 30 minutes from Oregon. I have been checking for yardsales and if lucky I can find ONE each Saturday. I hit at least 30 last Saturday down here and ruled out more than that. I am going to go into yardsales withdrawal in the fall.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I MIGHT be in the LA area for a few days in October. If so, I will hit you up when I get there.

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Garage sale culture is VERY different in North Central. Most sales start at 10am, some at 11, some as late as 4pm! Since I am always up at 6am, I went looking the first weekend I was up there, and in San Mateo, there was a Community Sale in San Mateo that started at 8. That's about 35 minutes south of San Francisco, so I was on my way. I got there, Got a map of the 40 sales within the 1 mile square. I also got a REALLY nice Sony CX 455 carousel cd player with 400 slots and a Yamaha 777 Receiver with Remotes for $20. The Sony goes for $125 to $250. The Yamaha goes for $500 used on amazon, $250 on Ebay.

I got a crock pot, some good books, a greatful dead board game (!), a bunch of smalls ($1 to $2 each, sells for $10 to $40). The weirdest thing I got was a Hunter Evapo-transpiration Sensor, new in box. not listed on Amazon, or ebay. I have no idea what it sells for, or even how to sell it, but I know it's worth a lot more than the $1 I paid for it.

Had a great time up there. I am looking forward to going back.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I lived in Navato (couple of miles N of SF). When we moved there had to make some adjustment to even the time the stores opened. Learned how to sleep past 7am and not do anything till about 10am.

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
deja I would take you up on that but (to me) frisco is central CA. Right now I live in SoCA near Disneyland. I see you are in thousand oaks. my daughter just graduated from Moorpark college last year. (the zoo school)

But in three months I am moving to Northern CA. Less than 30 minutes from Oregon. I have been checking for yardsales and if lucky I can find ONE each Saturday. I hit at least 30 last Saturday down here and ruled out more than that. I am going to go into yardsales withdrawal in the fall.

Yer either in Tulelake or Dorris.....which one Dan??

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garage sale culture is VERY different in North Central. Most sales start at 10am, some at 11, some as late as 4pm! Since I am always up at 6am, I went looking the first weekend I was up there, and in San Mateo, there was a Community Sale in San Mateo that started at 8. That's about 35 minutes south of San Francisco, so I was on my way. I got there, Got a map of the 40 sales within the 1 mile square. I also got a REALLY nice Sony CX 455 carousel cd player with 400 slots and a Yamaha 777 Receiver with Remotes for $20. The Sony goes for $125 to $250. The Yamaha goes for $500 used on amazon, $250 on Ebay.

I got a crock pot, some good books, a greatful dead board game (!), a bunch of smalls ($1 to $2 each, sells for $10 to $40). The weirdest thing I got was a Hunter Evapo-transpiration Sensor, new in box. not listed on Amazon, or ebay. I have no idea what it sells for, or even how to sell it, but I know it's worth a lot more than the $1 I paid for it.

Had a great time up there. I am looking forward to going back.

dejapooh, the area you were in is what's called the Bay Area, and they are definitely in their own world there. I live east of there in the Central Valley and it is the same as what you are used to. Summertime the sales generally start at 7:00-8:00 and usually end whenever, wintertime sales usually start at 9:00-10:00. San Francisco and the Bay Area are considered Northern California, Crescent city where Dan is moving to is considered the extreme north coast. If you were going to Sacramento I would have met up with you and hit some sales. Good luck!

OP
OP
D

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
dejapooh, the area you were in is what's called the Bay Area, and they are definitely in their own world there. I live east of there in the Central Valley and it is the same as what you are used to. Summertime the sales generally start at 7:00-8:00 and usually end whenever, wintertime sales usually start at 9:00-10:00. San Francisco and the Bay Area are considered Northern California, Crescent city where Dan is moving to is considered the extreme north coast. If you were going to Sacramento I would have met up with you and hit some sales. Good luck!

Ah, If I had known before my trip, I would have made the trip out on one of the Saturdays.

Well, maybe... :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread