Lousy Morning Goes "Historic" In One Stop!

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys know the feeling.......45 minutes into it you have seen every article of baby clothing ever made, endless tables and driveways full of it. Then BAM! My last stop this past Saturday was a pop-up sale, not on Craigslist, not in our local classifieds, no sign on a pole.

I Handed a lady $20 for a huge box of original NES Nintendo stuff. Two consoles, forty games, five or six controllers, two zappers and the power packs. Among the 40 games is Bubble Bobble 2 with it's instruction book that will net just north of $400. Godzilla 2 is in there with a few Mega Man and Mega Man sequels. There is also Dragon Warrior with Dragon Warrior sequels and a few gold Legend Of Zelda's! If I take my time and present everything the right way I should be able to turn the box into $1000 - A bad morning turned good! Happy hunting everyone

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe you passed up on all of the baby clothing!![emoji12] I love the feeling when you find something that you know is great, and it seems like you can't pull your money out fast enough to pay the person. I know very little about video games other than there's some great stuff out there. It only takes one good find to make it a great yard sale. Well done JP!!

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Pardon me while I wipe the drool from my chin.

That is an epic find for us video game fans! Some of the best sales are those that aren't advertised or start at awkward times!

Congrats!

jodan3399

Jan 1, 2013
Brownsville, Pa
Detector(s) used
White's Classic III, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally jealous right now. :icon_thumleft:

I remember scarfing this stuff up by the box load when many people still considered it junk.
Those were the days.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice score! I don't mind all the sales full of baby cloths. Have found more nice priced ammo at those types of sells than at all the others combined.

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also made a score or two at those driveways full of baby clothes ! Not to often.

Jodan, your not kidding! In the early 2000's I sold countless NES and ATARI 2600/5600 systems and games. I mean countless. I cant remember the last time I saw any Atari stuff out there. NES, here and there but Atari, never

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome score! Those are the ones we video game nuts dream for!! I snatch them up every single time. It's a shame but I'll bet some people would rather throw them away than bother with putting them up for sale. A lot of the stuff I find is dirty because it has been sitting in a musty old box for years.

I did pick up an Atari 2600 in the original box a couple of months ago. Came with 3 joysticks, 3 paddles, and about 20 games - all for $10. I just ordered the coax adapter for it this week. Like you said though, these finds are much harder to come by now.

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome score! Those are the ones we video game nuts dream for!! I snatch them up every single time. It's a shame but I'll bet some people would rather throw them away than bother with putting them up for sale. A lot of the stuff I find is dirty because it has been sitting in a musty old box for years.

I did pick up an Atari 2600 in the original box a couple of months ago. Came with 3 joysticks, 3 paddles, and about 20 games - all for $10. I just ordered the coax adapter for it this week. Like you said though, these finds are much harder to come by now.

Yes, they are getting hard to find. I nervously hooked up one of the NES consoles last night to test Bubble Bobble 2 and it works great! When I sell BB2 I will add a picture of it's boot up screen and it's first level.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The vintage video game stuff couldn't be hotter right now. I have added "old video games" to my list of things I inquire about at sales in addition to my usual "coins" and "records" inquiries.

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Don't forget to look for the old handheld and table top electronic games. Some of those are valuable too. I had the Coleco Donkey Kong table top game when I was a kid. Got rid of it when I thought I was "too old" for it... Dumb teenager lol. They sell for $60-$90 now. I got another one about 10 years ago. I found the Galaga version at a sale last year and I was ecstatic to buy it. Gladly paid $15 for it.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other

Great find on the Atari. Deals are hard to find because everyone is now looking for them. As a vintage gaming fanatic (yes, a "fanatic" as I own 124 out of 125 of the original Intellivision collection + several homebrews) I've been hunting down video games at garage sales for years. Now, as I'm walking up to a sale, there's some guy already asking if they have any old video games!

On the up side, I did find a PS3 with two controllers for $30 this weekend. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find on the Atari. Deals are hard to find because everyone is now looking for them. As a vintage gaming fanatic (yes, a "fanatic" as I own 124 out of 125 of the original Intellivision collection + several homebrews) I've been hunting down video games at garage sales for years. Now, as I'm walking up to a sale, there's some guy already asking if they have any old video games!

On the up side, I did find a PS3 with two controllers for $30 this weekend. :thumbsup:

The newest I will go is Super Nintendo - Unless the stuff is dirt cheap. Its been years since I have seen any Colecovision or intellivison stuff. Ever run into a VECTREX?? I have sold two. Both had a bunch of games. They are gold!

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
The newest I will go is Super Nintendo - Unless the stuff is dirt cheap. Its been years since I have seen any Colecovision or intellivison stuff. Ever run into a VECTREX?? I have sold two. Both had a bunch of games. They are gold!

You may want to move a little further to the N64 and the Gamecube if you see those. They're starting to heat up. After that though, you're right. PS2, xbox, xbox 360, wii etc aren't worth anything yet.

Have a Vectrex in my basement :thumbsup: and haven't managed to part with it yet! Colecovisions (and their controllers) are VERY finicky. Finding one working well is difficult these days. Happy hunting ... always fun testing the old games before selling!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other

You seriously pass up Gamecube, N64, and GameBoy stuff?

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You seriously pass up Gamecube, N64, and GameBoy stuff?

I snag up Gameboy stuff, when I see it. I should probably educate myself on the Gamecube market! There was a time N64 was as dead as John Wayne. I will do some 64 searches and see where it's at

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
I snag up Gameboy stuff, when I see it. I should probably educate myself on the Gamecube market! There was a time N64 was as dead as John Wayne. I will do some 64 searches and see where it's at

Most of the basics apply ...

Most things Mario sell (N64 Mario Party, Mario Kart and Smash Bros - $40 to 60 for a loose cart)
Most things Fantasy/RPG related sell (Zelda, duh)
Most things Pokemon sell (Gameboy or N64)

thebirdflu

Aug 29, 2013
Missouri
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SNES was as new as I went as well because I never owned a N64. I'm getting into that now as well and starting to build that collection.

The NES Classic was announced last week. 30 games loaded onto a miniature console. I wonder what that will do to the prices of classic consoles and games? Btw I just looked up the value of Bubble Bobble 2... OMG! $330 for the cart alone!!! Congrats on picking that up!!

People at work know I'm into the old games. Someone asked me today for a gold Zelda cart. PM please me if you're interested in selling a couple of the ones you picked up (one for me one for coworker lol)

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SNES was as new as I went as well because I never owned a N64. I'm getting into that now as well and starting to build that collection.

The NES Classic was announced last week. 30 games loaded onto a miniature console. I wonder what that will do to the prices of classic consoles and games? Btw I just looked up the value of Bubble Bobble 2... OMG! $330 for the cart alone!!! Congrats on picking that up!!

People at work know I'm into the old games. Someone asked me today for a gold Zelda cart. PM please me if you're interested in selling a couple of the ones you picked up (one for me one for coworker lol)

I think I have three Legend Of Zelda in gold. What is one of them worth to her? I will test it to be sure it works as well

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread