June ended in gold and Diamonds and July brings: Gold, Platinum, Silver, and Antlers?

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
June ended with gold and diamonds and July started with Platinum, went to gold, then silver and brass,and then Antler...:tongue3:

I just finished adding pictures, but the last weekend in the last week of June, on a Friday, I found over $450 in gold not shown, but the $2 real and tested diamond and gold earrings are pictured. The next day, we bought $25 worth of assorted jewelry by following neon green garage sale signs... When I got home, I found that the one yellow gold, 20" solid link rope chain was real and the catch stamped 14kt. It weighs 20.8 grams which means there's $515.00 of gold in it. With the sterling jewelry, we end June's last weekend with a just over $1,000.00 with $115.00 in total costs. :>)

This July's flea market, with the heat my wife had stopped at a vendor's awning for some shade. I'd bought some jewelry from these ladies in the past and there was a small Brazilian Rosewood dresser-top box about 12" long, 3" wide and 1-1/2" deep. Inside was a round ladies' wristwatch without a band, and also some sterling jewelry. They said they had to have $50 for the box and contents. The old watch was made with diamond chips around 1920 by the Imperial Watch Co. On the back was stamped: "900 Plat". After eight 14kt gold lady's watches found at garage and estate sales, this was my first Platinum watch find..... The silver earrings and the platinum watch case is worth about $150 in scrap precious metals... Here's the identical watch with its original band that's being sold on Ebay....

Vintage Platinum Diamond Womens Imperial Wristwatch | eBay

This last Friday, the 15th, mainly due to the 101* heat and limited sales, we didn't go anywhere and stayed around home working on "our garage sale inventory". Saturday morning, I left it up to my wife to decide if we were going to the few listing there were. She made a good choice. Apparently, there are a lot of people that are just sticking up unlisted garage sale signs, so during our planned route we would follow the signs of six more Pop-Up sales. Doing that, we averaged a 50/50 draw of dirty toys and kids clothes with some nice surprises...

I stopped at one of those unlisted sales and asked if the lady had any costume jewelry. She replied that she had "some" and went to get the plastic baggie. For $15, we found costume grade pieces, two Sterling Silver necklaces, and a bracelet with an Aquamarine oval stone. The bracelet is stamped 14kt and weighed 4.2 grams. Allowing for the stone, a conservative 3 grams of 14kt is worth $74.67 USD. By 10:30, we were on our way to Mickey-D's for a take home breakfast. We stopped at another sale where I bought a 8" tall, solid brass, single candlestick holder for $1. Nothing compared to the big one I found on the way home..... Then, I asked the "Mom" of the two running the sale if she had any Sterling Silver she might want to sell. She said she had some of her old Sterling tableware and went to get it. Bringing it back to a table inside the garage itself, I opened an old and soiled department store cardboard box and found several plated items and then 32 silver pieces. Towle's "Old Master" pattern, she said. It was a small 4 piece place setting for eight with a sterling hollow handle knife, two size forks, and a teaspoon. Every piece stamped "STERLING". After looking and "feeling the weight" of the largest dinner fork, I offered her $300 for the set. Each large dinner fork weighs 59.2 grams and in pure refined silver, it's worth $35.00

As she thought about my offer, I heard people coming into the garage itself. Instinctively, I put my back to them, but knew their noisy voices . It was two "Dealers". I gently replaced the pieces under the old tissue paper and put the cover back on the box. As my wife was about 5 feet to the side, one of the Dealers came right up to the back of my neck and tried looking over my shoulder at what I was looking at. Never greeted or acknowledged me. My heart just about jumped out of my chest when the owner lady said, "Three hundred dollars for all of it?" Then, it was nothing but the death of silence, until she finally said, "Well........... Alright." I told the lady I had to go to my truck to get the money, so my wife moved over, put her forearm and hand over the box lid and with a smile, stood guard until I came back with $300.00 in all Twenties. Total refined silver out of the set equals 38.3 troy ounces of silver worth $680.00. So, $315.00 bought $750 in silver and gold....in 30-60 days, gold and silver should begin again their climb in value....

The two funniest finds this July were in a total cost of $23... All at the same sale, two $10 Daisy Red Ryder BB guns, a large brass candelabra, and the "mounted" skull and deer antlers cost $2.... If not $10 at our garage sale, then $6 for the candelabra as scrap brass. The skull and antlers with that one of a kind wall mount could bring $35-$40.....or more in our Texas "Red Neck" county. :tongue3:

Bill

Attachments

• Garage sale and Estate Silver and 14kt gold 002.JPG
    Garage sale and Estate Silver and 14kt gold 002.JPG
    342.8 KB · Views: 142
  • Garage sale and Estate Silver and 14kt gold 001.JPG
    Garage sale and Estate Silver and 14kt gold 001.JPG
    476.3 KB · Views: 152
  • Garage sale and Estate Silver and 14kt gold 003.JPG
    Garage sale and Estate Silver and 14kt gold 003.JPG
    371 KB · Views: 159
  • Garage sale and Estate Silver and 14kt gold 005.JPG