Always check behind the picture frames!

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
I started of using a bounty hunter junior! :)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went to a local estate sale, and they had some good stuff, but most was overpriced. (Like who is going to pay $60 for a regular barn lantern) But I did pick up these three mini pictures in frames for 50 cents. Thought they would be good for framing small pictures, especially since they had that patina and wear that looks good. Well I got home and took this picture out, and along with it came this old add and a cardboard backing that looks like it was cut up from an advertising sign! Too bad they cut it up, it would have been a cool sign. But on the back of the picture was a letter. I read: "Another year rolled against us! I'm so glad the war is over, but the peace [be?] far harder to win - all this bickering and power politics.
Last February I fell on the [?] sidewalk and broke my right ankle. Was laid up for seven weeks - but am as fit as a fiddle once more. I have a new hobby - am [fixing?] over the old homestead in Lakewood [Nd?].

Tried to decipher it the best I could. But I thought that certainly is a treasure! Not gold, coins or worth much, but just a look into the past. I wonder what war they were talking about. Whatever one it was, they were relieved it was done. Too much bickering:laughing7:
And I sure don't hear the phrase "fit as a fiddle" anymore.

IMG_2906[1].JPG IMG_2908[1].JPG IMG_2909[1].JPG IMG_2910[1].JPG

Uhhhh the baby robin, I accidentally added him but he won't go away. So enjoy a baby robin too.

Attachments

• IMG_2580[1].JPG
    IMG_2580[1].JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 175

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think it's "icy sidewalk". Also I think it might be "Lakewood, NJ".

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good idea, but Goodwill does it for us here.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's "icy sidewalk". Also I think it might be "Lakewood, NJ".

Oh ok! Yes that makes sense. Slipping on an icy sidewalk and Lakewood NJ is actually a town. Couldn't find the town of Lakewood ND. Probably because there isn't one!:laughing7: Thanks though, always good to have another set of eyes.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The letter was a treasure to the person who send and received it.

I bet so. Now it's my treasure. I bet they weren't thinking that little letter would be so cool in the future!

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Injunbro

Oct 8, 2011
SE Arizoa
Lakewood, NJ probably makes it post Civil War when the town grew. The paper showing the hospital in PA would is also close to NJ. Penetro was a popular lubricant in the 1930s so the picture was likely framed after WWI. However the letter could easily predate the picture.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lakewood, NJ probably makes it post Civil War when the town grew. The paper showing the hospital in PA would is also close to NJ. Penetro was a popular lubricant in the 1930s so the picture was likely framed after WWI. However the letter could easily predate the picture.

Oh yeah it was also written on the back of a lithograph reprint. Looked to be closer to WWII. The first picture in my post actually, that is what the letter was written on. And actually, now that We're here, I'll take a look and see what the back of the other picture says that I bought.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wait, what does goodwill do for you?

Tear off the back of paintings and old pictures looking for hidden money. Not uncommon to see the old nails have been removed then put back half way in the pictures.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tear off the back of paintings and old pictures looking for hidden money. Not uncommon to see the old nails have been removed then put back half way in the pictures.

Ahhh yes. Very true. That's the good thing about yard sales, people usually don't check that stuff.

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I'll post pictures later, but this is what I can make out from another letter:

Dear Catherine:
We have been making [?] inquiries about travel. [rules? jules?] want to go by air and have [?] full [of?] money. Travel is out of the [present?]. We had a better [time with?] the company that sponsored [our?] trip to S.A (South America?) that never had [?] out a letter too soon for [?] take [?] [?]. [?] they [?] to [look? book?] . [?] [?] if [?] [?] years or [more?]. Anyways we are to [go aid?] [?] [?] [?] is over and things [better?] down. [?] measuring I think [?] [?] go East after [?]. We want to go to Bar Harbor and [?] on [?] NB (New Brunswick?) + Nova Scotia + maybe Cape [?] [?] hoping the roads will be better [?] East[?] they [?] going heavy travel over the roads [?] the war put ?????
No news from Caroline - We had heard from Miss Spear [?] year[?]

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2930[1].JPG Here is part of it. Looks like someone sliced edges off. :BangHead: But I tried to make some of it out. Let me know if you can read that picture at all. Maybe scanning it would be better? And do you think I could get more help in another section?

OP
OP
Kevlardini

Kevlardini

May 18, 2015
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-4
Vulcan 360 Pinpointer
Garret Treasure Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2929[1].JPG Ill try another

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions