Unusual Marks

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Had an early invitation to an estate sale today. There was a good amount of sterling holloware. Most was priced at melt or higher but I managed to pick up several pieces that were below melt. Nothing spectacular but worth buying. Off to the side was this set of 4 pieces on a silver plate tray. I'm reasonably certain I've interpreted the marks correctly. Would like to hear from other people before I say what I think.

001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those look like late 1700s to mid 1800s to me. May be completely wrong but that's just what I'm seeing in the style.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm reading Edinburgh 1860 the maker is Charles Robb & Sons. Edinburgh Makers Marks - C

That's what I had for the date mark (D), city mark (castle), & purity mark (thistle). I had not found the maker but that sure looks like it. Now I need to figure out how/where to sell. As much as I like the set I'm not going to keep it. Definitely too nice to send to the refiner. I'm not sure that eBay is the best place to sell. Even if it was the value is enough that I don't think I'd be comfortable selling there. Anyone know an antique silver dealer that is willing to pay a fair price?? The set weighs just over 2335 grams.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's what I had for the date mark (D), city mark (castle), & purity mark (thistle). I had not found the maker but that sure looks like it. Now I need to figure out how/where to sell. As much as I like the set I'm not going to keep it. Definitely too nice to send to the refiner. I'm not sure that eBay is the best place to sell. Even if it was the value is enough that I don't think I'd be comfortable selling there. Anyone know an antique silver dealer that is willing to pay a fair price?? The set weighs just over 2335 grams.

I would try to find a local antique dealer to try to flip to. But realizing that they won't pay full value. Also maybe Craigslist, depending on the area you live in. Most definitely not to the smelters!! Anyone who melts that down should be tarred and feathered!! What an awesome find!!

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I would try to find a local antique dealer to try to flip to. But realizing that they won't pay full value. Also maybe Craigslist, depending on the area you live in. Most definitely not to the smelters!! Anyone who melts that down should be tarred and feathered!! What an awesome find!!

I live in a fairly small town & to be honest I'm the guy the local "antique dealers" go to when they want to sell. That says more about my area than it does about what I'm willing to pay. This particular set won't go to the refiner because it should easily sell for a good bit more than melt through the right auction house or specialty silver dealer.

Having said that, I hear "tarred and feathered" or some variation from a lot of different people. I'd love to sell each & every piece to a collector that would love it forever. Unfortunately the majority of the gold/silver items that sell on ebay don't go for as much as the refiner pays, especially when you consider the time/effort/fees it takes to pack, list, & ship. Most antique dealers won't pay any more than melt unless the item is really special.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it sold as silver or plated?

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What purity is it and do you need to sell it as a set or are you good selling just one or two at a time?

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beautiful set and worth some bucks.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The "thistle" mark to the left of the "CR&S" was used in Scotland until 1975(?) as the purity mark for 925. IMO selling the pieces separately would net less than it would as a set. The estate sale company wasn't familiar with the marks & the family told them it was plate. It was priced higher than plate due to the obvious quality of the pieces. I'd never seen or heard of the thistle mark but bought it anyway because it looked/felt right & the rest of the marks looked legit.

I know someone is going to say I should have given them more money. Seems to be one in every crowd. Until about 18 months ago I would tell the estate people exactly what they had & offer a fair price. I felt like it was better to make a fair profit on every piece instead of a big profit on a few pieces. For quite a while there wasn't any gold/silver at local estate sales. That came to a screeching halt when 2 of the local companies started adding 5-15% to my offer & offering it to the general public.....& wanting to sell the leftovers to me. That kind of chapped my ass, especially when I realized it wasn't about the few extra dollars, it was because they "didn't want the pieces melted". I still get 1st shot at a lot of things but they set the price & I buy or don't.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say screw'em!! It's their responsibility to know what they have and be educated with their merchandise. Especially estate sale companies. If you got it on the cheap, good for you!! It's a pirates attitude and that I am!! ☠

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Read reply number 11 and you'll have your answer. :icon_thumright:

ps- I took it as higher than plate but a lot less than sterling.

Definitely less than melt. I contacted an online dealer that had similar pieces to see if they were interested. Got a one sentence reply thanking me & telling me they weren't interested. Guess I'll try some other places. If I can't get any interest from a dealer I'll probably go with eBay.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've contacted several silver dealers without any luck. Some have declined without giving a reason why. The rest have said the market for tea/coffee services has dropped off. One told me she really liked the pieces but that her inventory included over 90 sets.... A couple said they would be interested in making an offer based on melt value. Unless someone has a better idea I'll try eBay.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "thistle" mark to the left of the "CR&S" was used in Scotland until 1975(?) as the purity mark for 925. IMO selling the pieces separately would net less than it would as a set. The estate sale company wasn't familiar with the marks & the family told them it was plate. It was priced higher than plate due to the obvious quality of the pieces. I'd never seen or heard of the thistle mark but bought it anyway because it looked/felt right & the rest of the marks looked legit.

I know someone is going to say I should have given them more money. Seems to be one in every crowd. Until about 18 months ago I would tell the estate people exactly what they had & offer a fair price. I felt like it was better to make a fair profit on every piece instead of a big profit on a few pieces. For quite a while there wasn't any gold/silver at local estate sales. That came to a screeching halt when 2 of the local companies started adding 5-15% to my offer & offering it to the general public.....& wanting to sell the leftovers to me. That kind of chapped my ass, especially when I realized it wasn't about the few extra dollars, it was because they "didn't want the pieces melted". I still get 1st shot at a lot of things but they set the price & I buy or don't.

I believe in buyer/seller beware. If you price it then I will buy it for your price. If it's not priced and you asked my opinion I am absolutely honest with the person. It happened with me at a garage sale recently and a lady that had junk watches and I asked if she had any others. She said she had two pocket watches. I looked at them and gave her an honest opinion of value $150. She then said to offer her a price and when I checked my wallet I only have $70. She said that would be fine as they her deceased husbands and she wanted them to go to a good home. I did sell one for $70 but keep, and cherish, the gold filled Elgin and use it often. It is worth about $80-$100.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've had this set listed on ebay as a BIN with Best Offer since I started this thread. I haven't had a single offer. Only one watcher. I'm at the point where I'm considering taking it to a guy I sell to. He resells some flatware & jewelry but most of what he buys ends up at the refinery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread