Another Treasure, "Found Again" Elgin Pocket Watch

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I came across another treasure when I was doing some of my clean out at home and figured you would want to see it, especially you watch hounds.

I was out doing some garage sailing and not having any luck when I decided to stop into an antique store I hadn't been to in a long time. Sitting right in front of the glass counter was this watch. It was marked at 40 and said "broken". I asked what was broken and was told the winder wouldn't work.

After paying the money, I was handed the leather case (surprise) from behind the register and went out to the car. The seller didn't know the watch was a lever set and it runs beautifully. The case is gold filled but has no wear spots and the face is immaculate.

Aside from the 14k gold case watches I spent 7.00 each on, it's still my favorite and best watch find.

Has anybody else ever come across a similar leather case or does this appear to be a one-off piece?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 122
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 130
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 126
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    407.5 KB · Views: 151

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you please describe what "lever set" means and how it works? How can you identify a lever set watch?

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you please describe what "lever set" means and how it works? How can you identify a lever set watch?

Lever set watches were a requirement on "railroad" watches so the time couldn't be accidentally set while winding from the crown. the watch winds from the top but in order to set the time you have to unscrew the front bezel, slide a small lever with your fingernail and then you can set the time from the crown.

Before GPS/reliable phone service and computers, trains depended on accurate time tables in order to avoid collisions. After a handful of bad accidents, standards were set for railroad watches including frequent time calibration, open case, delineated minutes, stem at 12 0'clock, white face, arabic numerals, jeweling specs, and others

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful pocket watch. Consider the leather case as the first iPhone case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread