kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...maybe you should have started with these first. That first group pretty much WOW'd me for the night! :laughing7:

I like the 2nd and 5th pics though - especially the 5th. Haven't seen hand plane setups like them before. Are they manufactured that way or customized?

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm...maybe you should have started with these first. That first group pretty much WOW'd me for the night! :laughing7:

I like the 2nd and 5th pics though - especially the 5th. Haven't seen hand plane setups like them before. Are they manufactured that way or customized?

Hi KC,

The second pic shows "Multi-task" tools. Millers Falls used Cocobolo and Stanley use Rosewood. The handles are hollow and the wooden thread ends unscrew to hollow storage of different tool points. Some had different sizes of slot screwdriver bits mixed with different width wood chisel cutting edges and various small drill bits.

The first picture shows some odd scrapers; some for glue scraping and others for surface planing. Originally designed for wooden shipping crates. When the manufacturer shipped something crated back then, the used black paint and a stencil to paint on the either the manufacturer's name or the address information of the customer. You can't get the paint/ink black out of the rough cut wood surface any way but using a wood plane to scrape/cut away the painted-on information. The one in the center made quick work so a new shipping address could be stenciled on when the crate was reused.

Glad you like the pics. I'm learning a lot of history as I go along. I'm still looking for the round circular "hammer" steel doughnut on a stick was used for... ;>)

Bill

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm...apparently the pics ended up in a different order than what you posted. :dontknow:

What you're calling the 2nd pic is photo "First 12 buckets of tools 037.JPG", right? For me, the 2nd pic is "First 12 buckets of tools 025.JPG". Then the 5th pic appears to be the same - "First 12 buckets of tools 041.JPG".

Keep trying to figure out those planes in 041.JPG, as it appears they work on the push stroke. Without a sole plate to act as guide, seems like it'd be truly difficult to get and keep the proper angle. Too little angle and the blade doesn't cut; too much and it gouges. ....Fascinating!! ....Ahh...did a search on the Stanley, and they're "SCRAPERS"!! NOW it makes sense!! :BangHead: I'm used to cabinet scrapers that were just a steel blade - no wood (or other) handle.

Another one that's stumping me is 033.JPG from Post #18. They have a Morse taper on the end, so I'm assuming were attachments for a lathe or drill press? The reamers are easy - got them ID'd. ...Maybe the forerunner to the modern-day router??

Grouch Day.gif
Having to make a dreaded town trip today! Have been going through my mind all night trying to make sure I don't forget anything. Would much rather have been dreaming about these pics!! DANG dude, what a hell of a find!! I truly am jealous!!
PTHPTHPTHPTHPTHPTH (small).jpg

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some very nice hardy tools. Look to be hand made and high quality if I am seeing right. I'm a envious man!

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm...apparently the pics ended up in a different order than what you posted. :dontknow:

What you're calling the 2nd pic is photo "First 12 buckets of tools 037.JPG", right? For me, the 2nd pic is "First 12 buckets of tools 025.JPG". Then the 5th pic appears to be the same - "First 12 buckets of tools 041.JPG".

Keep trying to figure out those planes in 041.JPG, as it appears they work on the push stroke. Without a sole plate to act as guide, seems like it'd be truly difficult to get and keep the proper angle. Too little angle and the blade doesn't cut; too much and it gouges. ....Fascinating!! ....Ahh...did a search on the Stanley, and they're "SCRAPERS"!! NOW it makes sense!! :BangHead: I'm used to cabinet scrapers that were just a steel blade - no wood (or other) handle.

Another one that's stumping me is 033.JPG from Post #18. They have a Morse taper on the end, so I'm assuming were attachments for a lathe or drill press? The reamers are easy - got them ID'd. ...Maybe the forerunner to the modern-day router??

View attachment 1351176
Having to make a dreaded town trip today! Have been going through my mind all night trying to make sure I don't forget anything. Would much rather have been dreaming about these pics!! DANG dude, what a hell of a find!! I truly am jealous!!
View attachment 1351177

In photo #033.JPG from Post #18 there are assorted dowel making and round tendon making apparatuses along with reamers and old bits. With the four-sided tapered tangs at the end of each one, all were meant to be used in those "crank style" boring braces. It's a job to wrap my mind around how slow and handmade things were made back in the 1800's and early 1900's.
What is somewhat sad is to see many of the larger boring bits meant for the braces with the tang cut off in the name of "Progress".

When they cut off the tang they also had to file away the threads on the bit's point. When put into a powered drill press or corded electric portable drill, if they didn't dull or file away the threads that helped pulled the bit into the wood, the higher speeds of drill presses and power drills would cause the drill bit to pull down to the stock. It would jamb and stall the bit, or split the wood stock, or jerk and rip the work piece out of the hands of the operator.....or worse...:tongue3:

Bill

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info Bill. Just got back home...TOO long of a day! Will have to reply more later. :notworthy:

Later:
Yes, dowelmaking!! I should have known - have seen a few in my time. Just can't seem to remember everything anymore. :BangHead:

Still like your deals better than my day, but I'm certainly not complaining, either! :laughing7: That is quite the wonderful collection of dowel making jigs and such. What a dream come true!! (...for a collector, that is). Sadly, I don't have the room for a collection.

Last edited:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, seems I lucked out a bit and got an old tool today for a GREAT deal!! Actually, was a spectacular day all around(!!), but will limit this post to this one purchase.

We had several stops to make while in town - the doctor's office being the reason we went to town at all. So I carried a BUNCH of coins in to my bank....wow, wish I could have such luck all the time! Afterward, the wife wanted to check out the consignment store just down the street. Outside was the "free box" - things no longer for sale, just being given away. ...Yes, just outside and part of the consignment shop! JACKPOT!! ...But more about that in another post. :laughing7:

We went inside and, in the back room I found a small camp axe. Hmm....this looked quite nice! I immediately liked the quality!! So without even caring about who made it, etc, I decided to cough up the $4 and buy it. Was thrilled about my purchase every time I thought about it, as it would still be several hours before we would begin the journey home. So we finally get home and everything brought in the house. I look over my find. It's made by Stanley. I see on the label that it says Made in ____, but the location was worn away. However, it HAD to be USA as there just wasn't enough room for the word China to fit. Also on the tag is the word Steelmaster. ...Never even thought to look on the axe head - all the info is perfectly engraved on it! :tongue3:

So I do a web search for vintage Stanley Steelmaster axe. I find these two results out there:
Vintage Stanley "Steelmaster" SC No 1 1 4 Camp Axe Hatchet w Leather Sheath | eBay

Axe Hatchet Vintage Stanley No SC 1 1 4 "Steelmaster" Camp Axe Hatchet | eBay

Then from another result I find this:
Stanley Steelmaster Camp Axe Hatchet SC 1 1 4 Leather Sheath Nail Puller | eBay

HOLY COW!! Mine doesn't have the sheath and has a little more rust than any of these, but mine is also older than any of these. Mine goes back to when they used the aluminized sticker on the shaft of the handle, rather than the name Stanley being molded into the rubber handle. ...And for $4 bucks?? Heck yeah! I'll take that deal ALL day long!! :headbang:

...Sorry, no pics tonight - too tired. Will post pics in a separate thread tomorrow.

...Guess I could also mention that our last stop for the day was at an ACE Hardware - NOT a store I normally like to stop at, but was a great day to stop!! There was a portable building set up outside the store - they use it for their greenhouse setup. Inside was lots of misc. items, and everything was on clearance at 90% off!! We bought quite a bit, but two things in particular I snatched up right away. One was a Campbell 1 1/4" brass check valve and the other was a Campbell 1 1/2" brass check valve, both NIB. There were old price stickers right on the boxes....otherwise, I'm certain the store would have simply left them in the store with ever-higher prices as the parts went up in price over the years. The 1 1/4" was marked $34.99, so got it for $3.50. The 1 1/2" was marked $32.99, so got it for $3.30. ....Here's what I found when I got home:

1 1/4":
Campbell CVB 5TLF Brass Foot Valve Lead Free 1 1 4"FIP x 1 1 4"FIP 200 PSI Oil | eBay
Campbell CVB 5TLF Spring Check Valve with Taps 1 1 4 In | eBay
Campbell Check Valve 200 PSI 1 1 4 " FIP x 1 1 4 " FIP 1 4 " FIP Brass Lead | eBay

1 1/2":
Campbell CV 6T 1 1 2" Check Valve | eBay

...Let's see...what did I pay again? Oh, yeah. Got it. FREAKIN' AWESOME DEAL!! :hello2::headbang::occasion14:;D

We seemed to have a whole day pretty much like that. Heck, even the bank went great. Took coins in and ended up getting $6.22 more back in return! :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry - seems I told a small fib. Didn't get the post up yet. Went to the doctor office yesterday (Wednesday). Now, gotta take the wife in for a procedure tomorrow (Friday). Other things taking precedence.

Please accept apologies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread