Remember Doing It With A Newspaper And Roadmap?

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking about garage sale mornings in the early 2000's when I first discovered this sickness. I would stop at the Hessmart and hope that the newspapers were delivered so I could get into the garage sale section and make my list. Then the raggedy paper city map came out so I could manually plot the sales..........

The good old days.....

Now I (we) are armed with GPS and websites. Makes me wonder how I ever did it!

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Guess we're REALLY old-fashioned! We just drive around looking for garage sale signs. :laughing7:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Here they're just on stakes pounded in the ground or, more commonly, just written on the sides of cardboard boxes and left sitting on a corner. Hey!, it's small-town nowhere here! :tongue3:

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still do it with a newspaper & a map , I still use a hipster flip-phone ,I can't even text on it .

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always had the spiral bound book maps...
they were much "faster" heh.

I hated looking for the addy in the map street list and finding 2 and sometimes more of the same street name with AVE... or DR.... etc and the add has none.
Areas I did not hunt I would just rip out those pages. heh

Had a reg map in glove.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We call the sales that are not published, pop-up's......A sign nailed to a pole

I love NOTHING more...

Ok... a few things... BUT...
I love noting more than to be cruzin... look over and see someone parked at a corner or side of road staking a sign.

Power brake... zip zip... "excuse me... good morning... which way to your sale ? "
Upon arrival I always ask...
So did you just put signs or did you do an add also...

When they reply "no just signs"... my heartbeat begins to increase. :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... I have many "tactics" for sales...
Like...
My girl is my best weapon...
She loves sales...
She is a garage sale addict... heh
Anyway...

When its a male... I send her.

Some people are just grumps...
They say...
I am not open till 9... Its 8...

I say... "I have money"...

They say... "Well I guess I can open now"... heh

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh... I have many "tactics" for sales...
Like...
My girl is my best weapon...
She loves sales...
She is a garage sale addict... heh
Anyway...

When its a male... I send her.

Some people are just grumps...
They say...
I am not open till 9... Its 8...

I say... "I have money"...

They say... "Well I guess I can open now"... heh

It's funny how some people hate early birds. I love'em!! When I set up I can count on a few at least, and they are sometimes my best customers! They are some local dealers that are really nice and they usually buy a ton of stuff. I make a little money, they make a little money and all is good in the world!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's funny how some people hate early birds. I love'em!! When I set up I can count on a few at least, and they are sometimes my best customers! They are some local dealers that are really nice and they usually buy a ton of stuff. I make a little money, they make a little money and all is good in the world!!

Wish they all thought like you.

They do after they meet me :P

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. I have pretty much given up on garage sales here in Tennessee though. 95% are clothes & baby toys and not much else.

Welll if you are naked...
OR...
Planning on having a kid...
Your in heaven. :P

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What websites do yall use? I usually just go out at 7:50 and start driving the same loupe I do every weekend looking for signs.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What websites do yall use? I usually just go out at 7:50 and start driving the same loupe I do every weekend looking for signs.

Here in ct, we use the local weekly printed publication (which is pretty reliable) and Craigslist. Sometimes a local Facebook page. And of course, some free-styling!! Most sales here are Saturday with an occasional one on Friday or Sunday. By noon we're pretty well done.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, I don't remember doing it with newspapers. I've only been doing this a few years. It took about a year for the regulars to accept me and now most really like me. They talk about the good old days and they sound awesome. Most made most of their money from art.

ethanfez

Jun 15, 2013
Colorado
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, I don't remember doing it with newspapers. I've only been doing this a few years. It took about a year for the regulars to accept me and now most really like me. They talk about the good old days and they sound awesome. Most made most of their money from art.

Took you a year to get accepted and I still haven't found them. I've been going ever weekend for about 2 years (when I'm not too busy with school at least) and have yet to start recognizing people.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still check the newspaper, online version is the same as the physical paper version. If they only put an ad in the newspaper and not CL then I figure they aren't too computer saavy, which means they are probably older, which means there's probably a better chance for higher quality stuff to be found there. How's that for figuring? lol

I also still check "The Flyer" a free weekly local that comes in the mail, every now and then there'll be an ad for a sale that is listed there and nowhere else. That tells me these people are really old school and I'm going.

OP
OP
J

Junk_Puppet

Jul 23, 2014
Upstate New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still check the newspaper, online version is the same as the physical paper version. If they only put an ad in the newspaper and not CL then I figure they aren't too computer saavy, which means they are probably older, which means there's probably a better chance for higher quality stuff to be found there. How's that for figuring? lol

I also still check "The Flyer" a free weekly local that comes in the mail, every now and then there'll be an ad for a sale that is listed there and nowhere else. That tells me these people are really old school and I'm going.
\\

Ha! I think the same exact thing

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread