May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hit an estate sale and found this heavy goblet. I flipped it over and it was marked 925. For $4 I bought it. It wasn't until I got home I saw the inside the cup an acid test. Not silver! Bummer. I then hit a flea market and on a $1 table was a stack of nine bread plates. The very first one was marked Sterling so I bought them all without checking. Turns out 7 are Sterling and 6 are marked on the edge of the dimple. It is my first time seeing it there. Easy to miss. 18.33 ozt. The best part was one of the plated ones is a dinner favor from the official launch dinner of the USS Nimitz on May 13, 1972. Should be quite collectable. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471198885.891037.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471198899.014372.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471198676.304712.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471198691.383765.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471198703.450460.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471198722.943487.jpg

Last edited:

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice rebound on the plates. If it were me, I think I would have passed on the goblet. But I've bought my share of stinkers too! Live and learn. But a heck of a comeback!!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a score on the plates!

When I first got into all of this I answered an ad on craigslist for sterling silver bread plates. I drove a 45 min down the road go to some lady's house looked so shady, knocked on her door give her $200 after I looked over them and weighed and tested them. As I'm walking away she says out load so I can hear...
" told you, there's a sucker born every day".

"I turned around and said your not kidding! These are worth over $800! " Silver was like $45 an ounce at a time! Got my car and left!

Those things are awesome! The military plate is awesome too it's actually my neighbors last name.... Do you want me to see if they're interested in buying it from you? Congrats! On the score!

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a score on the plates!

When I first got into all of this I answered an ad on craigslist for sterling silver bread plates. I drove a 45 min down the road go to some lady's house looked so shady, knocked on her door give her $200 after I looked over them and weighed and tested them. As I'm walking away she says out load so I can hear...
" told you, there's a sucker born every day".

"I turned around and said your not kidding! These are worth over $800! " Silver was like $45 an ounce at a time! Got my car and left!

Those things are awesome! The military plate is awesome too it's actually my neighbors last name.... Do you want me to see if they're interested in buying it from you? Congrats! On the score!

Sure! I actually have it listed on eBay right now.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! That Nimitz plate should do well I would think. I like it. I got faked out a few years ago on a tankard/mug that I thought was unmarked coin silver. Matter of fact I'm sitting here looking at it now, loaded with my gold filled Pens and pencils. We've all had our share of mishaps.

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I listed the goblet on eBay as a silver plated item. Might get lucky and get my money back

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread