Something wrong with this pocket watch?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or is it me? An old Illinois watch company gold filled pocket watch. It turns fine as far as the crown goes The second hand is running. But I can't figure out how to turn the hands to set them I mean I probably shouldn't mess with it too much. It has a neat picture inside of it too. And when I look online it only had a run production of 380, with 200 produced.. Does this make it a rare watch? And how much does the gold filled wear affect the value of it?

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471226603.292660.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471226633.374444.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471226665.859622.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471226687.506595.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1471226706.856694.jpg

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is probably a lever set. I have to take the front off and there's a little lever you pull out.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have all models memorized, but I'll bet money Its lever set! You have to unscrew the front, take your finger nail,flip out little lever, then twist crown!:occasion14:

Added....By the time I got it posted, it was already answered above.....

The rarity? That's a tough one....Seems like the smaller the sizes, even though some are scarce,or have short runs, they don't do as well as a scarce 16 or 18 size. Unless you catch the collector trying to get all of them! There are a lot of factors in that. And there are thousands of different movements out there.

I have a Railroad grade Hampden Pocket watch(16 size 17jewel New Railway NR in flag ) with less than 350 produced and it's not really worth all that much. considering the low number made. The interest has to be there for that model.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your help both of you. I scrolled down farther from the picture and it said lever set... Figures. I can't get that case off but I don't need to break it either. Thanks again!

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes if you just hold it in your hand, put it close to a light bulb. It will unscrew easier. If those fail? Break out the hair dryer and heat it slowly.:laughing7: Sometimes the crystal will loosen. But what else can you do! Just glue it back in if thats the case. Never use super glue around watches if you don't already know this....I learned the hard way! And anyone else that has knows exactly what I'm talking about!:laughing7:

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool pic in the old watch. It looks like its not the original case? It is a hunting case movement that winds at 3 o'clock with an open face case that winds at 12 o'clock. Hope that makes sense. Great watch!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your help both of you. I scrolled down farther from the picture and it said lever set... Figures. I can't get that case off but I don't need to break it either. Thanks again!

Try using one of those "kitchen man" rubber pads that women use to remove stuck jam lids. That should give you plenty of grip on the smooth metal. You could also try washing your hands and letting them dry to start fresh with no oil on them. Put the watch on one palm while placing the other palm on the crystal while twisting. Your newly cleaned hands should grip that case tightly and i bet it will break free.

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
put some rubbing alcohol on your hands to dry the oils, works better than just washing them.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great picture inside the watch case back! Handling an old watch has a density and "feel" of something old, but when you see a picture like that inside, it gives a depth and realization of someone's life.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great picture inside the watch case back! Handling an old watch has a density and "feel" of something old, but when you see a picture like that inside, it gives a depth and realization into someone's life.

Is the picture on paper or on the metal, itself?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great picture inside the watch case back! Handling an old watch has a density and "feel" of something old, but when you see a picture like that inside, it gives a depth and realization into someone's life.

Is the picture on paper or on the metal, itself?

The picture is on paper or some type of photo. It doesn't come out either I tried taking it out but I was afraid it would tear so I left it in there. I wanted to see what was written on the backside of it if anything but no point in ruining it

GTB

Jul 21, 2016
Cape Coral,Fl
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a great watchmaker located on Mcgregor in Ft,Myers if you need help. PM me if you need/want his number.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a great watchmaker located on Mcgregor in Ft,Myers if you need help. PM me if you need/want his number.

I'm pretty sure I know where you're talking about. I actually went to his store on I think Thursday last week but it said he was on vacation. I don't get down that way very much unless it's like 8 o'clock in the morning after I drop my daughter off at day care on Friday but if it's the same guy I am thinking of that does watch repair, I've dealt with him in the past and it's always been a positive experience!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread