Gold Jewelry at a Garage Sale!

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped at a garage sale this past Sunday. I didn't see anything of interest and was about to leave until I spotted a small trinket box with a few junky necklaces. Lo and behold at the bottom of the box there was what appeared to be a crucifix pendant attached to a gold chain. I turned the pendant over and saw the 14k hallmark. I asked how much for pendant and chain and the lady said $5.
*The 14k crucifix pendant is 1.9" (including the bale) and is also tri-color (yellow, rose, and white gold)
*The rope necklace is 10k and is 26" long. Hallmark - Turkey and PGDA

- I have bought a few 14k gold hoop earrings this summer for a dollar and other scrap gold for my scrap pile, but this Sunday's find I will probably hang on to. It's not often someone comes across something this nice for only $5!

<<What would you guys do with it? Scrap it or keep it?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 156
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    100.1 KB · Views: 158
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 160

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Keep it We Still Have The Piece In Our Avatar pic below our Chug and Red Name

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! It's great to find scrap gold for pennies on the dollar but always really nice to find something great to keep as well.

OP
OP
M

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the story on your piece?

Nevermind, I found your thread on the 18k medallion. Wow..nice find! That was 6 years ago and you never melted it. Do you wear it on a chain or just keep it in a box?

OP
OP
M

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for your feedback guys. I will most likely keep this treasure...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find right there. That's great! A word to the wise though, might me better off to ask how much for the whole box next time. Me personally I've had people say oh wait is that gold? And then keep it. And I've seen other threads on here also where the same thing as happened to others. Just a thought but that's an awesome score! I would keep it too. That's some nice looking jewelry right there!

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find right there. That's great! A word to the wise though, might me better off to ask how much for the whole box next time. Me personally I've had people say oh wait is that gold? And then keep it. And I've seen other threads on here also where the same thing as happened to others. Just a thought but that's an awesome score! I would keep it too. That's some nice looking jewelry right there!

I totally agree with the whole box lot thing. Just two weeks ago I bought a box full for $2.00 and plucked out some nice gold. The rest of the stuff I just toss in an old mason jar and sell it as a lot at my own sale. (Keeping any good quality costume jewelry out separately as well).

OP
OP
M

maxiebaby0914

Aug 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks, I will keep that in mind next time. I was a little nervous when I pulled it out of the box and dangled it in the air to ask her the price. (the junky jewelry was not priced). There was some silence when I asked her. I thought she was going to say that it wasn't suppose to be in there, but fortunately the silence was her thinking of a price.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Another thing you can do if you don't want a bunch of cheap costume jewelry laying around in your house after a buy (if you are like me and too cheap to throw it away when you know it will sell for a couple of bucks on your own lawn sale in a few months) is pick out a second or two more pieces of the junk jewelry, grab a small stuffed animal off another table, (doesn't every lawn sale you have ever been to have some?) they will be happy to get rid of it and then ask "How much for this stuff, my daughter will love them". Only a white lie as my daughter does play with the costume jewelry and the stuffed bear or whatever. If you get an offer that you think is too high, say "How much if I put these back?", referring to the junk jewelry. Believe it or not, I have done exactly this a couple of times. My daughter is happy and I have gold and I always pay what the person asks and I don't make a lower counter offer as I know I am already making a score, no need to be cheap and try and dicker them down. Just my two cents worth.

T.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread