tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got these last Thursday at a indoor flea market. The label said 2 vintage stickpins in old case $9.50. If you know stickpins and they're not marked and look like solid gold and old period Victorian, odds are they're made of 10K, but be careful as the replicas and latter ones can be only plated. 10 bucks for what I saw here was worth the cash in my wallet. Took them to the coin dealer yesterday and on his electronic tester the needle swung to to the 10k range on both and he even did an acid test as he was a little uncertain by his electronic tester. He said if I want what he could offer on 10k scrap he'll buy em. I looked over all his many pieces of jewelry hoping he had a nice valuable signed piece of something, but I didn't see anything I'd trade on, so I didn't even ask how much cash he'd offer. I'll just add them to my collection of gold jewelry for now.

Attachments

• stickpin 1.jpg
    stickpin 1.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 134
  • stickpin 2.jpg
    stickpin 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 115

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice buy and good tip regarding stickpins. I purchased one amongst an assortment of jewelry in baggies at an estate sale in Phoenix last year. Mine was also unmarked but had a nice baroque pearl in it so I thought it could be real gold. A jewelry store in Albuquerque checked it out for me and told me it was 14K, so that was how I sold it, but the buyer contacted me later saying they were disappointed because it was only 10K. I offered them a full refund but never heard back from them, but maybe 10K is the standard for antique stick pins?

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
A buddy just picked up an 18k Tiffany LCT stick pin for 60 cents. So j guess it depends on the maker. He wants to trade me some gold for it and I might take a chance. But it would have to go to auction to get the good money.

captain flintlock

Jul 21, 2015
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! I picked up one about two weeks ago and tests at a solid 14k. It has a blue enamel globe with 14k continents and gold eagle on the top. They can go for pretty good $$!!

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stick pins go for well above scrap. Even the gold filled ones go for good money.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have one that has been in that fam since the late 1800s , but is gold filled and not marked and is monogramed, still a great find happy hunting

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like Dragons breath.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread