Sunday Flea Market Finds. Timex Dynabeat and Montblanc

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not been able to attend our local flea market for a few months now due to other plans on Sunday's but today was not to be missed.

After walking it a few times, I had my fill but was able to pick up a few great items along with these pictured below.

The Montblanc pen caps are not threaded so they aren't the top of the line but will sell to somebody who's missing a cap. As for the exact model, I have no idea since the serial numbers are completely random to the part

The watch is a Timex Dynabeat with a Indian style silver band. It's missing the last few pieces bit the watch looked neat and should be running shortly. The insides look clean and I'm getting a battery once this is posted for a test run.

Does anybody have a way to date the watch? The only mark I found was the ink mark for a battery. M=397. I'm guessing 1960s but have no way to be sure.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 119

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
60s watch and 70s band Billy Jack era watch.

Attachments

• Billy_Jack_03.jpeg
    Billy_Jack_03.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 99

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The silver tips for the watch are Zuni chip inlay. I wish I still had mine from over 30 years ago. The prices on them now are unbelievable! Nice find!

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ID! I had no way of telling what group made it but now I have some idea. As for testing the watch, I have yet to find the correct battery. My local CVS didn't have any so I'll stop another tomorrow. If no luck there, my jeweler opens on Tuesday and he will test fit until I have the correct one

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Timex puts a year of manufacture near the 6 on watches.

There are no numbers below the 6 or anything inside the rear cover aside from the letter stamp for battery size. I'll do some more looking tomorrow and see if I missed anything.

jochart

Jul 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm pretty sure the montblanc pen caps are from the meisterstuck line. the word means masterpiece in german. very nice stuff

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm pretty sure the montblanc pen caps are from the meisterstuck line. the word means masterpiece in german. very nice stuff

They would not be. Meisterstuck are virtually all threaded, so these caps might be from the Generation line (I have one of those).

I can ask the experts for further clarification.

Wait, I was thinking fountain pen. It's possible a Meisterstuck rollerball could have a snap cap. Again, checking...

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They would not be. Meisterstuck are virtually all threaded, so these caps might be from the Generation line (I have one of those).

I can ask the experts for further clarification.

Wait, I was thinking fountain pen. It's possible a Meisterstuck rollerball could have a snap cap. Again, checking...

The do say Meisterstuck on the center band but are not threaded. I guessed a rollerball as well. I remember my mom having a fountain pen Montblanc and that cap was nearly double the size of these.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The do say Meisterstuck on the center band but are not threaded. I guessed a rollerball as well. I remember my mom having a fountain pen Montblanc and that cap was nearly double the size of these.

There is also the Classique/144 fountain pen that's not threaded, and a couple of older models. These would be smaller.

If you shine a flashlight into the cap, do you see a reddish glow in the material? The Generation will not have this red glow, but the 144 and rollerballs might.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is also the Classique/144 fountain pen that's not threaded, and a couple of older models. These would be smaller.

If you shine a flashlight into the cap, do you see a reddish glow in the material? The Generation will not have this red glow, but the 144 and rollerballs might.

No red glow is visible. I check with a powerful flashlight and it stays consistently black throughout. So its going to be a 144 or rollerball?

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No red glow is visible. I check with a powerful flashlight and it stays consistently black throughout. So its going to be a 144 or rollerball?

I believe those should also glow red.

I know someone who can ID these things at fifty pacesl but would need a closer shot. Later I'll check my Generation and see if it reads Meisterstück.

There is also the unhappy possibility that these are fakes. Montblanc is the single most-faked brand of fountain pen on the planet. You'd need to know what you have to list it properly. Do you have rough dimensions? Length and width? I'll look at my Gen, and ask the guy, too.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
length is 2.529 inches and the diameter: at base(widest portion of gold band)= .491, at tip (lower edge of gold clip=.356

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
length is 2.529 inches and the diameter: at base(widest portion of gold band)= .491, at tip (lower edge of gold clip=.356

Thanks. I looked at my Generation. It's printed with 'Generation.' I have the question in about the 144/Classique, which does have the Meisterstück engraved on the cap band.

While Im waiting, I found a couple of references to the 144/Classique. The cap should glow red.

Some good shots of the Classique.

ID-ing fakes in general.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe those should also glow red.

I know someone who can ID these things at fifty pacesl but would need a closer shot. Later I'll check my Generation and see if it reads Meisterstück.

There is also the unhappy possibility that these are fakes. Montblanc is the single most-faked brand of fountain pen on the planet. You'd need to know what you have to list it properly. Do you have rough dimensions? Length and width? I'll look at my Gen, and ask the guy, too.

I took the inner sleeve out and it glows red nicely! The more i read about them, the more it looks like the caps are real and pre 1990 due to the PIX not being marked on the clip. That seems to be a unreliable indicator for older pens so i think im okay. I only paid 10.00 for the pair and the Zuni/Timex was 20.00. I should make my money back no problem

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread