Larry The Cable Guy - Garage Sales

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
What is sad is that I have seen a lot of the people that Larry was talking about. I was at a fund raising flea market for a local drug and alcohol treatment facility and some guy was arguing that $4 for a brand new front yard light was too much. Whenever I went to the sales there, I usually bought extra stuff and gave extra money because I knew the good work that they did.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder am I that cheap person? Usually, no matter what they ask, I want a little better price. It is called negotiating. ;)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder am I that cheap person? Usually, no matter what they ask, I want a little better price. It is called negotiating. ;)

Dan, sometimes a price is so good/low that you just have to humbly accept it and move along.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's done religiously regardless of the price, then it's called being a Haitian. Because no matter what, even if you say .25 they will say .10, every single time. Not being a hater, just stating what I have seen on hundreds of occasions, if not thousands. I think it's a culture thing. I rarely have to negotiate as a buyer at garage sales. Most times garage sale prices are "just want it gone" prices anyway, around here at least. I will negotiate at an estate sale though, or try to at least.

As for Larry the Cable Guy, I remember him on the radio in Orlando before he hit it big. I like his stupid humor myself. He was much racier when he first started, from what I seem to remember.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
If it's done religiously regardless of the price, then it's called being a Haitian. Because no matter what, even if you say .25 they will say .10, every single time. Not being a hater, just stating what I have seen on hundreds of occasions, if not thousands. I think it's a culture thing. I rarely have to negotiate as a buyer at garage sales. Most times garage sale prices are "just want it gone" prices anyway, around here at least. I will negotiate at an estate sale though, or try to at least.

As for Larry the Cable Guy, I remember him on the radio in Orlando before he hit it big. I like his stupid humor myself. He was much racier when he first started, from what I seem to remember.

Yeah, a bit racist there. Kind of like saying you Jewed him on the price... right?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, a bit racist there. Kind of like saying you Jewed him on the price... right?
You said that, I didn't. Last time I checked Judaism was a religion, not a race. Haiti is a country and also, not a race. It's one thing to be frugal, it's another to try and take advantage of people. I used the Haitian example because it is what I have dealt with on a weekly basis for the last two decades. You don't live here, I wouldn't expect you to understand what I am referring to or speak of.
Only someone who lives here would have a clue as to what I am saying. It isn't being racist if it's a true statement. Prejudicial maybe but not racist, there is a distinct difference.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Racism vs. Prejudice

cazisme

Aug 6, 2012
Motherload
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to deal with a man who was Jewish, one of my coworkers was from NY and always gave the guy a hard time. One day he wanted to get a price reduction and the NYer said hey dont try to jew me down. The Jewish guy goes off on how he is Jewish and takes that as a racial slur ect ect for like 10 minutes. A few weeks later Jewish guy comes in and buys something and says hey you trying to Gyp me, as the total was off by 2 dollars for some reason. I went off on him! My family is Gypsy and we take it as a racial slur verbatim of what he said about being Jewish. I never had to refrain from laughing out loud so much. All the other people in the office were rolling on the floors.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is sad is that I have seen a lot of the people that Larry was talking about. I was at a fund raising flea market for a local drug and alcohol treatment facility and some guy was arguing that $4 for a brand new front yard light was too much. Whenever I went to the sales there, I usually bought extra stuff and gave extra money because I knew the good work that they did.

Keith,

I understand your feelings! I was at a small church garage sale fund raiser. A well groomed, mid-60's, blonde haired lady who runs a small booth in a local antique store, and whose husband teaches in the local Jr. College came up to the payout table holding up a piece of jewelry. One of the group of ladies taking the fund raiser money said, "That'll be 50-cents."

The dealer blonde ACTUALLY said: "50-CENTS!!???!!! The LADY out in the parking lot said it would cost A QUARTER!!!!"

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread