Lighter info help. Anyone know Japanese?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up for .25. It sparks but doesn't light (out of fluid?). I cannot find this lighter to compare. Does anyone know who made this lighter and/or what the Japanese writing says? Any help out there? TYIA! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472689989.640457.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472690000.309448.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472690008.959678.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472690019.060077.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472690027.545200.jpg

Last edited:

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The botton says Modern Jet Japan. ;)

Just kidding! I would need to get out my translation book. One of the simpler characters is the kanji for 'power,' I think. Back later, I love a challenge!

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife is Japanese and can not read it. She says it is very confusing. Sorry.

Thanks for trying! I figured that since it says Japan on it that it was Japanese writing. Who knows. Obviously it's nothing to special. Lol.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The botton says Modern Jet Japan. ;)

Just kidding! I would need to get out my translation book. One of the simpler characters is the kanji for 'power,' I think. Back later, I love a challenge!

I love that you love a challenge [emoji6]. Thanks for trying!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for trying! I figured that since it says Japan on it that it was Japanese writing. Who knows. Obviously it's nothing to special. Lol.
It is Japanese but the way the sentence is written is confusing. There are four alphabets in Japanese. Many (most) people do not read everyone. She said it has something to do with 5th generation. (the last number and "letter")

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First character means 'sun,' second, 'book.' Third, I can't even begin to untangle that many strokes! Fourth, I was right: 'power.' Five is, uhm, five. Sixth character puzzles me still. Just wanted to get something done.

Ooo...might be the character for liquid measure, which kinda makes sense...

So, and I may be wrong: Hi, Hon, (incomprehensible), Chikara, 5, Sho.

I'm just copying the characters, counting strokes, then looking up in an old book that,s about as big as Webster's dictionary.

I like the horse!

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is Japanese but the way the sentence is written is confusing. There are four alphabets in Japanese. Many (most) people do not read everyone. She said it has something to do with 5th generation. (the last number and "letter")

See if she has any luck with the sword I posted earlier dan.

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
日本超力5代。日本 (japan) 超力 (chaoli meaning a super force/super strong) for example 超人 mean superman in chinese and 超市 means supermarket. 5代 (dai) means 5th generation. for example iphone 5代 iphone 5. So a guess: this is a made in japan (or japanese style) super durable 5th generation/version of lighter. However since it says tung young it was probably made in Hongkong or taiwan sometime in the 20th century. Some novelty souvenir sold to tourists (asian and westerners) would be a guess. Did you ever get it working?

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
日本超力5代。日本 (japan) 超力 (chaoli meaning a super force/super strong) for example 超人 mean superman in chinese and 超市 means supermarket. 5代 (dai) means 5th generation. for example iphone 5代 iphone 5. So a guess: this is a made in japan (or japanese style) super durable 5th generation/version of lighter. However since it says tung young it was probably made in Hongkong or taiwan sometime in the 20th century. Some novelty souvenir sold to tourists (asian and westerners) would be a guess. Did you ever get it working?

Thank you for your translations! That is fantastic. No, never got it working because I do not have fluid. I put it in my "box of stuff to go through". I'll probably put it in our garage sale boxes to sell next spring. Thanks again!

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for your translations! That is fantastic. No, never got it working because I do not have fluid. I put it in my "box of stuff to go through". I'll probably put it in our garage sale boxes to sell next spring. Thanks again!

Glad to help. If you come across anymore character translation let me know :-). I noticed the hole at the bottom of the lighter. Some lighters here in China have that same design. Here you can purchase butane/lighter fluid containers and basically inject it into the lighter using that hole.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread