Ivory Necklace & Pachinko Machine

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up this ivory necklace for $10. Woman said her parents bought it for her 25 years ago in Rio de Janeiro. She didn't know it was ivory. I could see the grain was right but wasn't sure if it was celluloid. It passed the hot pin test.

IMG_20160903_120808.jpg IMG_20160903_120902.jpg

Also picked up this Pachinko machine for $20. It's complete and person said it worked when it went into storage.

happy hunting,
bill

IMG_20160903_114303.jpg IMG_20160903_114311.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should destroy the ivory. At least that's what I was told when I posted my ivory elephants. :laughing7:

If the Pachinko works, you got a good deal. Looks like it's from the 60's maybe.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it's pretty clean and for $20, I could not so no. I won't sell ivory, but I'm not destroying it. I just keep it. When I see these "trinket" type ivory pieces, it's even more sad. I wonder if beads were made out of parts of the tusk not used for more artistic pieces.

I also bought these buckets from the guy I bought the Pachinko machine. He said they were from a craftsman named Otto Dingus from the Appalacia, near where Tennessee, North Carolina come together. He said they were walnut and they are very heavy. The bands are copper. He said they were his mothers but I do not know how old they are. He was 70 or so but they might not be that old. They are 11"tall and 11.5" diameter.

IMG_20160903_115136.jpg IMG_20160903_115207.jpg IMG_20160903_165200.jpg

Also, got this card table from Kentucky. I think it's about 1930s.

IMG_20160903_121507.jpg IMG_20160903_121556.jpg IMG_20160903_121618.jpg

Last edited:

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You found some good stuff. Like the buckets.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Beans! Someone offered my $75 for all three and keeps reaching out. Wondering if I should take it?

I also picked up this painting. Haven't tried looking up signature yet.

IMG_20160903_110959.jpg IMG_20160903_111018~3.jpg

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would hold onto the buckets for now. I wonder if the buckets can be authenticated/verified somehow as being made by Otto Dingus. Seems the name would add value.
Otto Dingus

That table looks like a keeper to me. I like it!

ps- I was joking about destroying the ivory, just being a little facetious.

Last edited:

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also picked up this Pachinko machine for $20.

That is a good price, I have seen old broken ones out here for 2-3 times that price.

There are pachinko parlors all over Japan. The noise inside is deafening and the cigarette smoke is a killer. You see rows of addicts feeding the steel balls into the machine with cigarettes hanging out of their mouth (reminds me of little old ladies at the slots in Vegas) I will not go inside or I will cough for hours and stink all day.

Pachinko is supposed to be for "fun" but then why do these guys have plastic boxes full of these ball bearings? My wife showed me the "secret" Just outside the parlor is an unmarked door. We waited and at this one someone with a box full walked up and knocked. It opened up to a small store with cigarettes and American whiskey on the shelf, among other things. His balls were counted and he chose his "prize" It is against the law to gamble at pachinko. (this was years ago, things may have changed now)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a good price, I have seen old broken ones out here for 2-3 times that price.

There are pachinko parlors all over Japan. The noise inside is deafening and the cigarette smoke is a killer. You see rows of addicts feeding the steel balls into the machine with cigarettes hanging out of their mouth (reminds me of little old ladies at the slots in Vegas) I will not go inside or I will cough for hours and stink all day.

Pachinko is supposed to be for "fun" but then why do these guys have plastic boxes full of these ball bearings? My wife showed me the "secret" Just outside the parlor is an unmarked door. We waited and at this one someone with a box full walked up and knocked. It opened up to a small store with cigarettes and American whiskey on the shelf, among other things. His balls were counted and he chose his "prize" It is against the law to gamble at pachinko. (this was years ago, things may have changed now)
I was reading that they cash out at a different location nowadays as to not draw attention to the authorities in regards to the anti gambling laws. Who knows?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading that they cash out at a different location nowadays as to not draw attention to the authorities in regards to the anti gambling laws. Who knows?

Its possible. But a couple packs of cancer sticks to the right person might get a free pass.

OP
OP
S

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@Digg....thx for the info on the buckets. I wish I had gotten more info from the seller, but since I didn't I just sold them for 5 times more than I paid, but probably less than I could have gotten. I have too much stuff and my wife has been getting on me to get rid of things. Selling the buckets covered the cost of the table, Pachinko machines, and painting so I am happy.

Knew you were joking about the ivory, but wanted to make sure people on here knew I was not selling it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread