Late Stop at an Estate Sale Produces Pop Art Gold!

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Visiting Arizona with my girlfriend, and after sleeping in and grabbing a late breakfast, we made a midday stop at an estate sale I'd seen advertised online. An intriguing pop art piece leaning against the dining room wall immediately caught my eye, mainly because my girlfriend's dad is a muscle car junkie, and I thought he might appreciate the GTO for his man cave. Anyways, long story short, I wandered around the house trying to decipher the signature while testing variations of it in Google. When I hit on the possibility of it being a Peter Phillips piece, I rushed back to the dining room holding my breath and praying it was still there. It was! I picked it up for a whopping $32.50. Here is the image borrowed from Peter Phillips' website:
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1472953115.598333.jpg
My screenprint is signed in pencil and numbered 60/75. I believe it is titled 'Pneumatics' and dates from 1968. I will try to add a photograph of the piece when I get home from Arizona, but for now it is wrapped in a blanket in the back of my van. Peter Phillips was a contemporary of Warhol and considered an icon of the pop art movement. This print should be good for $500+ when and if I decide to sell it. Thanks for looking and happy hunting!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Sweet estate sale find, SDIceMan! $500+ screen print for $32.50! In the right place at the right time.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So much for your girlfriends Dad's Man Cave, huh? :laughing7:

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an update: The piece is called SUNgleam and is part of the Pneumatics portfolio which consisted of 8 screenprints. The James Hyman gallery in London currently has their SUNgleam on sale for 1500 pounds, or roughly $2000 USD. I guess this officially qualifies as one of those rare times where the late bird got the worm. :)
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1473048622.667781.jpg

Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool piece and a great find!

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the first piece of art I actually think was worth the purchase on this site. I really like it.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread