How to fix handle on sterling cup?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this cup today, quite nice condition, it's going into my collection, however, the handle has been snapped off from the cup. The handle is hollow as you can see... I was thinking maybe a little bit of super glue? I can't solder the metal my self, I want to fix it because it is extremely tarnished and I want to clean it up but don't want water to get into the handle as it would never dry out... Any insight is greatly appreciated!
20160904_184815_resized.jpg 20160904_184848_resized.jpg

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Find someone who knows how to silver solder. PLEASE don't use super glue! My mom had a whole china cabinet full of porcelain birds. All but one had been glued. Was sickening. Wish they had just thrown them all away. ...I'm not saying you'll do as messy a job as they did, but old pieces are worthy of proper repair.

Might even be able to find another member who does this, or knows of a reputable person. Also, a jeweler could fix it, but don't know how much they'd charge. I know how, but am WAYYYY too long out of practice, and that was working with copper pipe. Not exactly the same quality as what is necessary for this fix.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Not worth spending any money to fix. From the pictures I don't see anything special about the piece. Unless there's something I'm not seeing it's value will never exceed melt.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sell it as is. Scrap and stash imo, but it's up to you. A good jewelerguy would have all that's needed for a nice repair I would think?

Last edited:

Rasputin

Dec 11, 2008
Ho Hum Hollow, Georgia
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I'm an amateur silversmith and could easily fix that for you, as I'm sure, could many here on T'net. Are you anywhere near Georgia?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions