Nothing at yardsales Saturday... but did good Sunday at swapmeet.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live two miles from a vintage swapmeet and never even knew about it till Friday when I was making my yardsale hitlist for Saturday. It is at the local Univ of CA. and been going on for 10 months. They do no advertising and no signs. How do they even get any customers or sellers. They are even in a back parking lot and can not see it at all from two major streets.

Any way picked up 9 vintage to antique Toby mugs. They were marked $15 and up each. The lady saw me looking at one and offered my $25 for all of them. Me, being me countered with $20 and she accepted. $2.25 ea ain't bad. Looked up a couple middle sized ones and they are going for 15-16 each. These are going to be packed away. I am moving to an area where there were zero yardsales last saturday. (compaired to 118 locally)

Also, got a cabinet card that I need to do research on. I always look at old photos, especially what is called cabinet cards. They are photos taken by a professional photographer. All are mounted on card stock with deckle edge. Only well to do folks could afford to buy these or if someone dies a poor family scrapes together enough money to have their loved one photographed. Probably the only photo ever taken of them. They are called post mortem cabinet cards. Look at the card close, I think this is a post mortem cabinet card of twin girls. The guy wanted $2.00 and would not go down. I will start my listing at $150.00 maybe higher because it is twins. I will do some research. See the names on the back and they are from Chicago. I need help figuring out the last name. Maybe they are buried locally.

Attachments

• 20160905_081806.jpg
    20160905_081806.jpg
    355.6 KB · Views: 122
  • PICT0405.JPG
    PICT0405.JPG
    199.3 KB · Views: 178
  • PICT0406.JPG
    PICT0406.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 126

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to rain on your parade. But if they are post mortem then why are their eyes open. And the one on the left looks like his hand is in the air? Maybe just a nice photo of some live babies ???

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate to rain on your parade. But if they are post mortem then why are their eyes open. And the one on the left looks like his hand is in the air? Maybe just a nice photo of some live babies ???

They could be Zombie Babies

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often times the mother will sit in a chair and be covered up and then hold the child to get the right pose. Not saying this is the case here but it is a big ratan chair with some kind of fur draped over the back but the center is pretty high. (like to cover a head)

Also did some searching and found these photos, all about the same time period, all with eyes open.

Attachments

• baby-1.jpg
    baby-1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 108
  • baby-2.jpeg
    baby-2.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 96
  • baby-3.jpg
    baby-3.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 92

Keith Jackson

Aug 12, 2016
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
I would have to agree that it probably is a postmortem photo. Or it could be that only one of them is dead. They took pictures like that, too. Do a web search for vintage postmortem photos and you will find all sorts. Makes you see how peoples' attitudes about death and dying have changed over the years.

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often times the mother will sit in a chair and be covered up and then hold the child to get the right pose. Not saying this is the case here but it is a big ratan chair with some kind of fur draped over the back but the center is pretty high. (like to cover a head)

Also did some searching and found these photos, all about the same time period, all with eyes open.

Very cool find then. That's why I asked the question about the eyes being open. I am not an expert for sure on these types of things lol

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
I meet a lot of people who I would swear were dead,eyes open and still talking. Yankees and democrats will do anything to swindle a good southern boy or girl.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I meet a lot of people who I would swear were dead,eyes open and still talking. Yankees and democrats will do anything to swindle a good southern boy or girl.

....I ain't EVEN touching that one!! :nono:

75matador315

Jul 28, 2016
victory,ny
Detector(s) used
whites coin master pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i agree with cyberdan. if you research postmortem pictures of that era they did all sorts of wierd things. i have seen a few photos where there eyes are open but look like they are looking into space they also had ones where the family had them standing and in these pictures you can see a pedestal made just for those types of pictures and they helped hold the person in a standing position. they also had alot of photos where they had the living relatives in the photos as well and you can see the difference in there eyes. these photos are very facinating and at he same time disturbing for me but that is just the difference in times.

75matador315

Jul 28, 2016
victory,ny
Detector(s) used
whites coin master pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just took another look at your photo and to me it appears as the one on the left side of the chair is deceased but i believe the one on the right is still living. the reason i say that is because again if you look at their eyes the one on the right side of the chair is looking straight towards the camera and has a closed mouth where the one on the left side of chair is staring off to the left with its mouth open. Buy that is just my opinion. good find

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would buy that type of photograph? Talking about the subject not era or type of picture.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Who would buy that type of photograph? Talking about the subject not era or type of picture.

People collect post mortem cabinet cards. some might specialize in children. I am going to ask $150 to start and see if I get any nibbles.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread