Sunday Flea Market Bulova Watch Find

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried retuning to the flea market this morning with hopes of buying I missed from a vendor last month. He didn't happen to bring that particular box with him but he did have a bag of old watches.

I dug out this Bulova gold filled with no band that needs a cleaning. It was 10.00 and running so I went for it.

Does anybody know the model name? It's 10k gold filled, 23 jewel, red dial with day/date and 4 Roman numerals on the dial face.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 103
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 99
Last edited:

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are known as Bulova 23's. Probably early 60's. Very nice watch. Not a valuable watch but a great vintage wearer.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No specific model name for this watch as far as I'm concerned. I collect Bulova watches and know for sure this is 1972. The date code on the case back is N2 which is 1972. As for value well unfortunately probably $10 in parts Vintage Bulova 23 Jewel Automatic Watch Runs Great | eBay doesn't even look like your watch has any gold left... Would be a great watch in better condition still not valuable though! Be careful when buying Bulova watches most are cheap no matter how many jewels. You want something like their Oceanographer dive watch 1969 Mens SS Bulova Oceanographer Snorkel Diver Watch Auto 666 ft Bakelite Bezel | eBay or any extremely old ones from 1940 and before, I have a 1929 being fixed up right now

DFW_THer

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2008
Coinslaughtersville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett Carrot Glued To A Stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Agree that it's a nice vtg watch, but i wouldn't throw more than a buck at it at a sale. Then again, I'm a cheapazz! haha. Nice pick.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll give it a cleaning and polishing on the crystal/case this afternoon. Hopefully I can turn a toad into a prince.

Thanks for the info everybody. I'm going to look into getting it serviced, depending on post cleaning condition, and possibly get a band so it's wearable. The gold filled versions seem to fetch a fair price and I'd like to recoup some of my money.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, watch was cleaned and polished this afternoon and came out pretty nice. Aside from a few impact cracks heat the edge of the crystal, it's almost spotless now. All of the gold buffed up nicely and you can really see the red/gold flake dial face now.

Ill try to take a better picture in the sun tomorrow. I didn't get a chance earlier and this one doesn't do it justice.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 89
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    583.2 KB · Views: 82

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really does look great wow, nice job cleaning it up! I don't have a red dialed watch but really want one. If I were you and got it serviced try and get it done for under $150 or so. Only get it serviced if you plan on wearing it because, I really do not see any of these 23 jewel watches going for any more than $150... The link above is the same watch in running order in original condition and sold for $70.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much does a service run? Are they really in that price range? I've got an ultrasonic cleaner but have always been hesitant to just dump a watch in and turn the dial. I've lubed the occasional pocket watch but I've never felt I had the skill to open them up much further, especially with my huge hands and fingers. Delicate work isn't my specialty.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putting a watch in a ultrasonic cleaner is fine as long as you don't put the movement nor the dial in... that would be very bad. And yes servicing a watch these days is insanely expensive. Over here on the west coast lowest place I've seen for service is $150... there's a guy in Cleveland who can do something simple for $75 + shipping. If you had a friend who could service it for cheap that be a godsend, I'm hoping one day to learn how to service my own watches!

Have you even seen the movement on this watch? Take it to a watchmaker nearby, there could be broken parts which would drive the service price even higher.

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Putting a watch in a ultrasonic cleaner is fine as long as you don't put the movement nor the dial in... that would be very bad. And yes servicing a watch these days is insanely expensive. Over here on the west coast lowest place I've seen for service is $150... there's a guy in Cleveland who can do something simple for $75 + shipping. If you had a friend who could service it for cheap that be a godsend, I'm hoping one day to learn how to service my own watches!

Have you even seen the movement on this watch? Take it to a watchmaker nearby, there could be broken parts which would drive the service price even higher.

I have not seen the movement but I might swing by my jewelers shop tomorrow and see what it looks like inside. I'd have him service it but ever since his eye injury, he's not doing them any more. I guess depth perception is important when servicing expensive and delicate watches.

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not seen the movement but I might swing by my jewelers shop tomorrow and see what it looks like inside. I'd have him service it but ever since his eye injury, he's not doing them any more. I guess depth perception is important when servicing expensive and delicate watches.
There has to be another watch guy somewhere in your area no? You could always send it out to someone if you need to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread